Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Monster Shoes & a name change


I thought that the rate at which Lucy blew through clothes that first year was shocking but at the same time with each change of size 0-3 mos to 3-6 mos came with amazing developments in her personality.

The growth has seemed to calm down, we aren't completely changing wardrobes every three months, but her feet... oh man, I think her feet are growing at a stunning rate.  Maybe it isn't the case, but now shoes are setting us back about $35-$50 a pair.  This weekend we had her feet sized and ended up leaving the store with:

Dress Shoes - white sandals
Tennis Shoes - a girl must be able to run freely
Play Shoes for summer - ok, so maybe she doesn't 'need' keens but they were so great last summer because they work in the water, they work on rocky beaches, they also have toe coverage for the school playground that is covered in wood chips.

and, because we love options a pair of Red and Purple casual shoes.

Of course, her whole wardrobe is PINK and none of these shoes except for the fancy sandals really go all that well with a pink puffy girl, but she seems to prefer fun shoes.  In fact, we are all very sad to retire the Yo Gabba Gabba vans.  She growled at them every time she put them on.  "Monster Shoes"  - very cool.


  
I'm sure we'll end up buying more shoes before we hit the heat of summer, and I guess that is fine.

We had been going to the stride rite store for shoes, but Jason suggested we stop at Nordstrom and while I loved the idea I must complain that the options were so good that we probably purchased at least one pair of shoes that we didn't 'need'.  Stupid excellent service.

Lucy was great during our shopping adventure.  She was delighted to get a balloon and when we were finished we stopped at the cafe for a cookie.  She loved the idea of a cookie, but mostly sucked the green sugar off the top of her portion of the shamrock leaf.  Oh, and she drank 90% of my sparkling lemon aid.  "Screw that vanilla milk crap, mommy's juice is 10 hundred times better."  Thankfully she's mastered the straw and no backwash happens.  (backwash and snot bubbles gross me out. gag)

She was a bad napper this weekend, but slept well at night.  I'm thinking the three hour naps might be gone until the next growth spurt.  And there's the trade off, good sleep equates to big feet.

Oh, and here's a new development, she has been waking up really upset after these short naps.  She's in a tantrum like state for about 10 minutes when she wakes up.  I feel badly for her, because she's simply upset and there isn't much to do.  We cuddle, comfort and keep her safe, but she's wailing and producing tears.  Poor little bug.

Last bit of news.  She corrected me this weekend when I called her Lucy.  "No mama, Lucia!"   So, I told the day care today that they have to stop calling her Lucia and call her Lucy.  I love them a lot, but she is Lucy.  It would be so wrong for me to call a kid named Juan John unless asked to by the parents or little Juan himself.   At 2 - it's too early for Lucy to decide to change her name.  I'm the mommy and I say so!

No comments: