Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Map, I don't need no stinking map!

Hola! Welcome to the last live-on-location entry from Spain. I can’t guarantee that the trip home won’t be memorable enough to write about – so I won’t attempt to claim this is the last Spain entry.

I stuck out the whole day yesterday in the conference. Today is a half day and so far (20 minutes in) it’s pretty interesting. So no wise cracks today about my boring techie job.

Ironically, after I complained a bit about feeling isolated I was invited to dinner. The group (19 people strong!) was going to meet at the hotel bar and walk over for an early dinner at 8:30. I decided I wanted to see the city so I made my way to the metro. I’m glad I did because while the trains were clean and easy to navigate it was apparent that if you were dragging luggage you would be in the way of other commuters and getting down to the trains is stairs. (Note to self: when you come back in October hire a car to pick you up at the airport.)

Another important thing I learned a compass and a GOOD street-map might save you time and blisters.

I had a hard time orienting myself on the street so I tried to navigate by locating myself on the map and then walking toward the next street and then to the next to determine the direction I was walking in. My map, while portable didn’t have the many pedestrian only streets listed so I walked about a half a mile to the next major street and then to the next major street which ended up being the exact opposite of where I needed to be.

I enjoyed the walk, and saw many sights that I was interested in. I wasn’t worried about getting to the restaurant (until about 30 minutes before I was supposed to be there) so I lingered in some of the plazas and shops. The Bari Gothic area is a fun area of mostly pedestrian only streets that are lined with chic shops.

I was approached by one questionable person who must have used his crack skills to peg me as a tourist. I wonder if the map and the camera gave me away. He came too close to ask if I knew the name of the Plaza I was standing in as if he was lost. Street names and plaza names are generally found on the corners of buildings and so while they are not as noticeable as the big green signs in America they are none the less visible if you know what to look for. I looked the guy right in the eye (to let him know I wasn’t weak) and pointed to the plaza sign behind me while casually resting my other hand on my bag. He nodded and walked away. I moved off to the side of the plaza to spend a little more time in my map and to scope out a picture. As I stood there I saw him approach Ma & Pa Kentucky and another young American looking couple.

The guide book says that this area of town isn’t dangerous, but that the traveler should be more cautious about their wallets and bags. In fact, the waiter advised us after dinner to stick together and watch for pickpockets.

About 30 minutes before I was supposed to be at the restaurant for dinner I started to get a little worried that I wouldn’t find it. Persistence is a good thing because as I got lost again I made a decision (guess) between the option of left or right and ended up on the street the restaurant was on. I found it in about 3 minutes. Because I was early I popped into a ceramics shop and poked around. The store was clearly designed to sell to tourists but there were some very nice items. They also had a wine cellar and art gallery under the main shop. I couldn’t resist the temptation to purchase a bowl that would be lovely for summer salads. Rather than haul it home I inquired about shipping it back, but at 70 euro to ship to the US I opted to import it myself. It was only a 20 euro bowl for pete sake.

I made my way back to the restaurant to find only one person from my party there so we sat at the bar under about 30 hanging hams and had cava. Normally I am pretty uptight about being late as I think it’s really rude to make the restaurant hold tables for non-existent patrons. (I also hate that people assume that it’s ok to make your friends wait for you.) This is not the US – it’s Spain, and everything is late here so the fact that our party didn’t arrive until 9 was no big deal. In fact, we had a lengthy dinner and left after 11 and there were tables where folks were just arriving yet there was no pressure to leave.

The restaurant didn’t look like much from the street. Rather, it didn’t look like much more than the bar area so when they walked us through the hot hot kitchen to the back and then around a corner and up a 200 year old carved staircase and then around another corner to our tables. The whole place other than the loft area where we were sitting has hams hanging from the ceiling.

The first course was an amazing array of tapas – jamon, mushrooms, prawns, and squid. I wanted to lick every plate – and my mouth is watering just thinking about the squid – it was lightly breaded and salty but not chewy. They were nothing short of perfection. We didn’t order it – they told us that they would be bringing it. For the second course everyone ordered their own but my end of the table agreed to Seafood Palella. The waiter brought out this huge hot pan of seasoned rice packed with seafood. Even after it was divided there was no way we could have eaten it all.

My dinner companions were extraordinarily fun. This group is from all over the UK and America and so my dinner companions were from the UK: Ireland, London, and Edinburgh, Scotland. We laughed about the differences between the US and the UK and listed absurd television shows. I totally concede defeat to “Naked Darts” a show in which topless women play darts. Who wants to marry my dad has nothing on Naked Darts. I’m sure FOX will pick up on it soon.

Thankfully after dinner, we found a cab and made it back to the hotel just after midnight. I figured out the wake up alarm situation (thankfully I have my cell phone) and made it to the last day of the conference on time.

Tonight the fountains will be on display, but there will also be fireworks so instead of a lengthy dinner some of the gals and I will make our way to the plaza near the hotel for a night out.

I leave tomorrow morning on a 6:30 am flight so I won’t be posting again until I’m back in the States. Viva Espana!

1 comment:

syp said...

Wow. What a great, great trip. :-)