Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Second Spain Update (Seville)

We are killing time in an Internet Cafe (all internet, no cafe... sad) until 8:30 so we can go to dinner. We would have walked back to our apartment, but the feet are very tired.

The historic part of Seville isn´t really that big, but it´s very similar to Venice in that there are a million little streets with no names and no signs. We attempted to find the front gate to the Alcazar yesterday and ended up walking around the entire park looking for an entrance that was about 40 feet away from where we started. The whole trip took about an hour, so I estimate it was about 3 miles. Upon finally getting to the gate i could only laugh at the sign that said that it was closed on Mondays. You would think that three reasonably smart people would know to look at the hours in the guidebook before we set out...

We did get in to the big *ss church in the center of town. The Catedral (no h) is the third largest cathedral in Europe. It is impressive and was a nice way to get inside away from the rain. I won´t complain about one day of rain because they (Spain) have been having a drought and what´s one day of rain? As the Spanish would say, de nada.

We did climb to the top of the tower which wasn´t a horrible climb. Thirty four flights up but it was mostly ramps so it wasn´t as painful as stairs. The view was worth the effort and if I can ever afford to have my film developed I´m sure the pictures will be lovely.

Last night we saw a Flamenco show at the mini cultural center near our apartment. It was fabulous. Juan, the man flamenco dancer seemed to take a shine to Eric but once he got going it was amazing! It was a lot of fun and on our way back to the apartment we passed a little bar with no sign and popped in. Inside we found another flamenco show that we could almost see through the blue haze of the cigarette smoke. We decided to leave after the first show and on the way out we had to step aside for the mother pushing her 9 month old baby in the cart. (I was shocked anjudgmentalemental about taking the baby to asmokeyy smoky bar...)

Our apartment is great and in a good location. We are on the second floor and have access to the roof for a deck. The bed in my room was questionable in that it tips a little from the right and I had a hard time sleeping the first night bevery timeerytime I rolled over that way the mattress would leave the springs and I felt like I was going to fling myself onto the floor.

Last night I pulled out the trundle (?) under the main bed and slept down there and it was nice!

We are off tomorrow to Madrid and hopefully less photo opportunities. I´m going to go broke when I get back.

I´m having a lot of fun, and have only thought of ending the life of my travel companions once or twice. Starbucks is all over in Seville but who´s going to pay 5 euro for a coffee when for that amount you could get 3 cafe con leches and 3 rolls at regular cafeteria.

(The gal next to me at the cafe is using the instant messenger chat with some guy and she has a camera set up... I can see my fawhacked my wacked out hair plain as day. I don´t love it...)

Good night!

1 comment:

tp_gal said...

ok, sorry about the weird formatting. I think it has something to do with the spanish version of blogger that pops up from this location.