Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The recap

Home... it's so nice to be back where it's cool and in my own bed where I can sleep soundly... (HA!!!) I get home and it's hot, muggy, and it's so stale in my room that I was able to fall asleep last night only after taking 2 nite-time sleepy snacks. I have to say, that sleeping in the woods on the slumberjack was pretty fabulous compared to stagnation city.

Enough whining about the heat... I know it will be winter before I can say "M. Night Shyamalan is a crazy dude." (I went to the movies today to get out of the heat. )

The vacation was great! I put the tent up on my own and was able to 'wo'man-handle the slumberjack set up without too much trouble. Gamble Bay was lovely, and we napped in the sun every day. I did lather up with 50 spf - but I'm still sporting a rather nice tan!



Not much was on the agenda so I read like a mad-woman:

The Death of Vishnu - very nice!
My Sisters Keeper - interesting debate about genetics and moral obligation set in a family drama. (I cried.)
Tuck Everlasting - I know, it's a children's book - but I had never read it.
Long Way Round: Chasing shadows across the world (Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Boorman's description of their round world motorcycle journey.) Fun.
Heloise's Housekeeping Hints : I picked this 1962 hardback at the Kingston Saturday market. It is filled with very helpful things to know such as "Having trouble drying your crinoline petticoats? Just put them over an open umbrella! Great!" Seriously, I never would have thought of that.



Here's Becca and me lounging on the party raft.


We also took in the Lavendar Festival. Very pretty!

I took a wrong turn and accidentally ended up at Chief Sealth's grave, so I stopped to take a peak.



Upon arrival home - I set out to see some movies:

Pirates II: well - the barnacle people were icky and Johnny Depp was fun but I say blah! This movie was just a long set up for movie three. If they would tell me where to sent my $9.50 I could sent it now and be done with it.
Lady in the Water: Who knew that M. Night Shyamalan had a sense of humor? He's also relaxing a little and doing more than the casual cameo in the film. I was mildly confused and annoyed by my inability to suspend disbelief... she comes from the POOL? WTF.
My Super Ex-Girlfriend: I didn't actually pay to see this one, after leaving the Lady in the Water this was starting and so I popped in. The movie was by no means full, and I have very little guilt - they got my 9.02 for .50 cents worth of soda and corn. Anyway -- the movie was better than I thought it would be, and I even had a giggle.

Last but not least The Family Stone. (Carrie Bradshaw goes home to meet the family of the male giggalo that Grace Adler bagged at her sister's wedding) Again, this was better than I expected and I was caught up enough to have a little cry.

We have a softball game tomorrow - hopefully the heat won't throw us off our game. Actually, the game doesn't start until 3:45 - so it should be cooling off by then don't you think? Yeah, me neither.

1 comment:

Seattle's "Paint Princess" said...

The Family Stone - I saw it on an airplane and thought it was a so/so movie - but it made me cry too, dammit! That Diane Keaton... Also, gotta agree that the 2nd Pirates was loooooong - fun ending though.