Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I may have spoken too soon...






Sorry about that folks. I casually quipped that the snow would be gone by Monday and well... it did sort of go away, but by 6pm it started to snow and then zip zap an *Arctic Blast* (that's what the news folks call it when the weather gets cold here in Seattle.)

The girlfriends and I were attempting to get to East Seattle for a lovely French dinner in honor of our friend MWR who hosted his 40th birthday (Whoa fella!) recently. We, Yaz and I, headed east out of down town and quickly got caught in traffic. We drove about 15 blocks (in 30 minutes) and passed two stuck busses and realized that we had 28 blocks and two major hills to go before we got to the restaurant and it was obvious that the roads were quickly going from slushy to icy. We debated the likely hood of making it to the restaurant let alone the smartness of trying to head home afterwards against the understandable disappointment of MWR. He graciously understood and we took a right and headed towards the freeway over the lake (she and I both live on the east side - she in the highlands above Issaquah and me in the (low)Rent(on) highlands. (Highlands is northwest speak for hills.)

We questioned our decision when we hit the I-90 bridge and found the roadway to be wet but totally passable. Traffic was non-existent and we zipped to the park n' ride in record time. (Maybe we had called it quits too early?) I promised I call her when I got home and made my way to 405 South. I found *ALL* the southbound traffic at exit 9 at 7:45. At 8:15, when I had gone 1.5 miles I called Yaz to see how she was doing and I think it is safe to categorize her mood as bleak. She found all the eastbound traffic about a mile from the park and ride. At 8:45 I finally got to my exit (#6 - yes folks that's 3 miles and hour.) It only took 15 minutes to navigate the back streets to my condo - I had to wait for the 'yahoo' to give up the dream of leaving our condo complex (it's a steep hill) before committing to the slide around the gate.

I spoke with Yaz twice more last night. At 9:15 and then again at 10:30. By this time, her husband MC had caught a ride down the hill and braved the trek home with her. (that's so nice!)

I called in SNOW this morning, but that won't fly tomorrow. I'll have to don my snow boots and deal with the bus.

No comments: