Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Job & the Job

The local media irks me. With the impending threat of snow all they can talk about is the weather. It is cold, it might snow, it might freeze...

Yes, there was snow in places today, but not a flake in my neighborhood. I listened to the weather folks and made arrangements to work from home today, but I could have gone in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad about getting to stay in bed until 8am, take my phone calls in my sweats and getting caught up on the laundry today. But...if it actually DOES snow tonight I have to make the decision about tomorrow. Showing up to work is a good thing.

One of my phone calls today was with the Senior Senior manager of the team I would be working with at MegaMegaBank. We talked about the team, the work, the position, the location and the compensation. My reaction was: good, good, good, eek, and what!?

team: small, busy, hardworking, international
work: familiar, a growth opportunity and interesting
position: a challenge, a career builder
location: Manhattan, NY
compensation: same salary, same benefits

The lure of Manhattan is certainly interesting. I can see myself carrying my groceries home from the corner market, dining at neighborhood gems and soaking up the arts. However, my salary, while nice is not Manhattan friendly. We could afford to rent a pretty decent place, but the dream of home ownership would die quite quickly.

I can't say the idea isn't tempting, and the offer of continued employment extremely flattering but...

The Sr.Sr. Manager said that I could let him know in January where I stood and if the answer is no then they won't go through the motions of extending an offer and I'll just live out my 90 days. So, officially, J and I are discussing our options.

I know better than to request a paid trip to Manhattan to look at neighborhoods and experience life as a potential New Yorker. The first thing is that I would probably fall in love (which would be the point of their paying for the trip) and since I know, I'm mostly a no, it would be unethical.

To be fair about the process J and I are exploring real estate listings so we can honestly assess the financial impact of such a move.

J could find another job, but we need to make all decisions based on one income. That's my rule - because it's the only income we could count on going into the situation.

I won't officially say the answer is no, but it's a pretty strong likelihood at this point.

The chances of my moving to New York, might be lesser than the chance of snow in Issaquah in the next few hours.

3 comments:

MWR said...

You may be able to negotiate upward from their opening offer. The cost of living is certainly higher in NYC than here, although you can take away anything to do with a car.

Could be exiting to spend a few years in the city. I'm certainly glad I did. The difficulty, it would seem to me, is that it might be hard to transition back to Seattle after continuing along that megabanking career path. It's one thing to look for the same job in a different city, or a different job in the same city. You would not want to try doing both at the same time, which is where you could find yourself.

Anonymous said...

It would be an experience. We would visit

PNB Dave said...

Ditto what MWR said, except substitute "I wish I had" for "I'm certainly glad I did."