Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

TP, thy chain has been yanked

In response to my last post of some stellar videos I got this reply ;


Anonymous said...
Good blog post, nice efforts. It couldn't appear to have been penned any better. Reading this article piece of writing reminds me about my old boss! He usually kept babbling about this. I will email this post to him. Pretty confident he will probably have a high-quality read. Appreciate your posting!
It is not clear to me if this was someone who is trying to be funny, sarcastic, mean or didn't actually read the post.  

The tone is nice, but the wording sounds like there should be a sales pitch or even an announcement that the commenter has some money in an account left by his uncle and he needs my help to get it out. "reading this article piece of writing" and "probably have a high-quality read" are the tipping points for me.  No one actually talks like that. 

Clearly, this doesn't matter.  I was reading this morning about the massive power outages in India and wondering how long it would take for trouble in that area of the world to impact our insulated daily life.  The idea of a whole country (or even 'just' 2/3 of it) being without power is the plot of a horror movie, or a doomed NBC tv show.   In those scenarios a gaggle of young people and perhaps Nicolas Cage set out to save the world.  Images of sports stadiums overgrown with vegetation aka Sleeping Beauty come to mind.  In reality, those areas are so typically devoid of greenery that they might simply be locked and avoided.  

In the summer, a sustained outage might be livable - if there was water, but I recall a long stretch without power in December of 2006, which according to my records was actually only 7 days - even though it has ballooned in tp folklore to a 10 day odyssey.  To repeat that event would be brutal.  It was cold, all the food went bad, it was DARK and thank heaven for friends in different neighborhoods with power so that the laundry situation was bearable.  Imagine an entire city in clothes that need ironing.  HORROR.







No comments: