Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Winner of the worst dinner party comment ever:

Last night I attended a dinner with my friend and his co-workers. The group was diverse in regional origin and age. For the most part all were charming and well adjusted.

I made the desert which was a yummy chocolate cake decorated with melted white chocolate dots. Rico's boss who was stylish, well dressed with very nice shoes (obviously and openly gay) said to me how cute he thought the dots were and how easy it would be to do all sorts of shapes - he suggested a rainbow to stick on top of a cake. Joe (one of the bosses minions) asked "a rainbow, why a rainbow, are you a 6 year old girl?"

The boss replied that it would be cute for a coming out party. I suggested pink triangles for cupcakes. Joe asked why pink triangles.

The boss and I explained to origins of the pink triangles. (The Nazi's had an elaborate system to identify people, Jewish, Disabled, Muslim, Catholic, Gay, Irritating, Shifty -- these people were required to wear the identifying symbols.) Joe said, "how did they mark them?"

TP: typically, armbands, but in the camps the symbols may have been on their clothes.
Joe: but they didn't like brand them or anything that hurt?
TP: Uh, other than killing them, no they weren't hurt.
pause... while I waited for Joe to catch his error.
Joe: How do you know all this?
TP: (in my head: it's called history you nitwit) I've done a lot of reading about WWII, and recently had the opportunity to visit the National holocaust Museum in Washington DC.
BOSS: Oh, I've been there, it's great!
TP: I know, so moving.
Joe: Really, I heard it was boring.


**crickets**

Had Rico not moved in with coffee and a subject change, this is how I wanted to proceed:

TP: yeah, ever since they took out the virtual reality room where you get to shoot the Jews and Homo's from the prison walls - the museum is so dull. It's too bad that they only have that one video of the medical experiments - what it really needed is someone performing live mutilations on the half hour for the tour groups.

I can forgive Joe's ignorance about the different groups that were rounded up and sent to the camps - the Jewish folks really take all the spotlight - with 6 million people exterminated it's hard to remember that other groups were targeted as well. But I don't forgive a lack of understanding and respect for the event as a stain on our humanity and the need to be interested in what happened so we can hopefully prevent it from happening ever again. Boring... shesh!!

No comments: