Pages

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Die Comment Spammers Die!

Alright you evil MoFo's! I didn't want to have to turn on the word verification feature - but now that you've spammed my little blog with links to your useless websites I have no choice.

I had been deleting these unrelated comments as they popped up, but it turns out that it's a script rather than a pimply faced kid going from site to site. This does help me understand why my blog (with 15 regular readers) was being targeted. They don't care about my blog...

****

On a happy note - I am delighted to report our accommodations in Malaga Spain have been worked out. I wired 333.00 euro today to our host - and get this -- we'll be getting 150.00 of that back -- for a 5 night stay this price is amazing. For this price, we should be inviting our distressed folks in New Orleans and Mississippi to vacation in Spain to relax before coming back to dig out.

Speaking of -- the debit card disbursement to the affected folks in the south is going to be a GIGANTIC MESS. I imagine that within a few weeks we will see these people who have been through hell be the victims of ID theft, financial theft and any number of scams. My lesson learned (that I share with you) is to bank at a national bank that has the ability to authenticate you if you do not have photo id. Many local banks can do this - but what happens if the bank of Yakima is buried under 6 feet of goop? At least with the evil Bank of America, US Bank, Washington Mutual, Wells Fargo and the like you've got nationwide coverage (and you can be sure that their disaster recovery plans include multiple sites for data storage.) Normally, I am a HUGE supporter of local businesses - but it just doesn't make sense to bank locally.

These larger banks have the ability to store your signature card on file, so if you have to get funds and you don't have ID they can know who you are not only by the information you provide, but by matching your signature. They also have a copy of your ID somewhere thanks to the Patriot Act - but most companies aren't set up with a digital copy of the id that the bank teller can access.

Well - enough lecture for today.

Lastly, here's a great link to an article published in the National Geographic predicting the aftermath of a hurricane in New Orleans (article published October 2004!)

(sorry no time to spell check or edit - must catch bus or sleep in my office tonight.)

1 comment:

tp_gal said...

see - I should have spell checked and edited. You should bank locally - but not with a regional bank. Sorry -- I'm sure MWR would have caught that straight away.

I'll pop back in tomorrow and clean up grammar and typos.