Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

How TIVO saved my life

It's not really TIVO, it's digital video recording but it's awesome. I know I know, I am a late adopter to this technology. People have been raving about TIVO for years now but I didn't understand - now that I have it, I see the light.

Not only do I see the light - but I'm actually watching LESS tv. I've set TIVO up to record my favorites: West Wing (I'm a hanger on), Law & Order: SVU, ER, Lost, the Daily Show, Colbert Report and I'm able to move on and do my own thing. Before there was TIVO on Lost night, the TV would go on while I ate dinner, and I would still and flip until the show started. The show would end, and I would go to bed. NIGHT WASTED. Now, I still eat to the TV but it's last nights Daily Show (sans commercials) and then I turn the darn thing off and move on to something else. Plus I don't have to choose between conflicting shows, so if I was into Veronica Mars (which I'm told I'm foolish for not watching) I wouldn't have to worry about the passengers from Oceanic flight 315. I could watch one, and TIVO the other.

For the first time in a LONG time all of my laundry is not only clean but put away. The checkbook is balanced, and the cat box is clean. I AM FREE! I knew it was wrong to be in such a close relationship with my tv and I will admit that for a long time it's been my only boyfriend. Now that I'm free I might be able to venture out and date someone with feet.

Because of my new found freedom I didn't have any guilt about watching the new HBO show -- Big Love. It could be the next Six Feet Under - except with Polygamist Mormons- I thought it was great and it should hold me over until summer when Entourage comes back. (Oh Ari, how are you holding up?)

2 comments:

MWR said...

Where can I get a TiVo that does laundry? Mine won't even let me watch one thing and record another.

tp_gal said...

Oh man, if the TIVo actually did the laundy I would pay more for it...but no, it has magicly freed me from sitting for hours and hours mindlessly waiting for the next "good" thing on tv. I know I COULD have walked away before but self control isn't my strong suit.

My "TIVo" is really Comcast DVR - and it lets me record multiple shows at the same time, and watch something else. (I"m almost positive.)