Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The great Scrabble debate: to poo or not to poo

I returned to Scrabble Club last night. I had stopped going because of the commute and the constant baby talk. I love mommies, but the last time I attended I looked around and I was the only single sans kid in the room and all the conversations were about little Suzie walking or development games or who was having the next baby. WHOA – TP was out of her element. To be fair not all the ladies were so singularly focused in their conversation abilities – but super mommies are hard to derail.

The attendees have shifted abit and I was encouraged to give SC another visit. I'm glad I did, it was an enjoyable evening with discussions revolving around vacations, home remodels, the state of employment and a raging debate that I now bring to you.

Is it ok to put your dog poo in any garbage can you encounter when walking fido?

Most of the gals were in the firm yes camp, citing that if the can is on the street then it is an acceptable action.

It was a mixed decision as to whether or not it is ok to walk up the driveway to the can close to the house and deposit poo. I say that walking up the driveway is trespassing and you should keep walking with your poo. The dog owners said it would depend on the situation apparently there are times when you can’t carry the poo anymore and depositing it in a trash receptacle is the responsible thing to do.

I don’t love the idea of doggie poopie in my trash can, but I can put myself in the shoes of the dog owner too – it would be a much more pleasant walk without the stinky bag.

Regardless of what side of the fence the women were on with the free garbage service, they all agreed that it is rude and inconsiderate to dump the poo in the yard waste container.

We did suggest that the gal who was providing free garbage service for the neighborhood consider taping a sign to her garbage can. “I don’t put my garbage on your lawn, please don’t put your poo in my can!” It doesn’t quite have the same effect as the “we don’t swim in your toilet, so don’t pee in our pool” sign that my grandparents neighbors had painted around the deck of their pool. (Classy!)

If you can believe it, this conversation moved in a MORE disturbing direction when one of the ladies mentioned that people will do anything in your yard. Apparently when her home was being remodeled they brought in a porta-potty for the workers to use and it had to reside in the front yard (in direct view of her kitchen window.) She said that the porta-potty was used by the entire neighborhood: joggers, dog walkers, the mailman and a delivery truck driver who pulled over on his way to somewhere else to use the facility. I had always wondered where the mailmen go when they are on their route. In college a mailman asked to come inside our house to use the restroom and it must have been an emergency as we had to cut that end of the house off for all eternity.

Alright – that’s about all I can say about this topic. Feel free to let me know where you stand on the topic of making unwanted deposits in your neighbors trash cans.

Also – must mention some Scrabble highlights:
Liz and her opening word which was a bingo – Pillows. Very nice! (There were other bingos but I can’t recall the words.)
My game was off and I was trailing until I played XI on a triple letter score to make the words XU and IN… 50 points! I didn’t win – but I didn’t feel like a loser anymore.

2 comments:

MWR said...

As I read your entry, first I thought it would be a discussion of whether "poo" counted as a word in Scrabble, but in a game permitting "xu" that couldn't have been an issue. Then when I read "any garbage can you encounter" and "can is on the street," I assumed you were talking about public trash receptacles.

It did not even cross my mind that people would be debating whether they should be throwing excrement into residential garbage cans! The street or the driveway? Talk about splitting hairs. What, are they making some Fourth Amendment analogy? I'm amazed that there are people so narcissistic as to do such a thing, much less feel fine about it, and still much less openly defend it.

Saying "there are times when you can’t carry the poo anymore" is just being disingenuous. What times?

I'm sure these same people would say it's O.K. to leave their dogs' excrement on a lawn if they didn't "happen" to have a bag with them ("there are times when you just don't have a bag"). Well it is not. You are out walking your dog. What did you think was going to happen? If you've made an honest miskake and find you didn't bring a bag, go home and get one, or go buy something small at the store and use that bag. Don't be a pig and leave excrement for someone else to step in.

It's bad enough that in many public parks there are unsightly plastic bag dispensers, so I can't go to those parks without being reminded that people are running around scooping up excrement--a lovely image. Can't people who have their dogs in the park be expected to bring their own bags?

As far as I'm concerned, the reason so many dog owners are so cavalier about their responsibilities is that the penalties for violation are not severe enough. I would propose that upon any second offense, the person's pet license should be revoked and the person should be permanently separated from ownership of the pet. Of course, responsible pet owners would never have to worry about this happening.

MWR said...

I think I scared away everyone but the small cap spammers. GO SPAMMERS!