Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend Recap

Jason flew in to San Jose this weekend and we took a lovely tour of Napa and Sonoma. My dream of driving around the sunny California countryside in a snappy convertible died upon the discovery that the trunk of our rental car didn't shut.

The replacement "luxury" car was a humongous Chrysler with the loudest air conditioning fans ever invented. I pretended my hair was blowing in the wind (which was a lot easier after the second winery).

If I had to live in California is would be in the hills somewhere outside Sonoma or Napa. Other than the fact that my friends would likely not move with us, I could be happy there.

We stopped by Dean & Deluca a store that is so fabulous that I'm grateful there isn't one in Seattle. It would be the downfall of my savings account. I would be there every day buying cheese, meats, savory treats and scrumptious bakery items. We picked up a bottle of
D2 wine that we have only seen on the wine list at el Goucho and took it back to our room.

We toured only three wineries Saturday. A place that only does sparkling wine, a little gem called Cakebread and a more "value" prices local called Sequoia. All three were wonderful in their own right.

We asked folks at two places where to have dinner and both recommended a little place called UVA. We couldn't get in until 9 so we opened our wine, had a buffet of wheat thins and cheese and then napped until 8. Funny how wine on the hot afternoon makes you sleepy.

Saturday topped out at about 90 and I wish we would have had swimsuits but we survived it.

Sunday we dined in the hotel and then explored the on property grape fields. We decided to go back to San Jose via Sonoma and stopped at Chateau St. Jean. I loved this winery. We joined the wineclub, ate a picnic on their stunning grounds and decided to never ever leave.

Reality set in and we joined the millions of people on the highways. Once back to SJ we returned our car and headed back to my hotel.

Jason's flight left at 6:30 so he was up at 4:15 and left me at 5am. I fell back asleep and woke up at 7 a bit sad. It was a beyond perfect weekend but Mondays must come....

We're trying to decide when we can do a Napa 2.0 trip. Hopefully we can work it in before the wedding.

When I get home I'll upload some photos from the weekend.

- Terri

2 comments:

CLD said...

Cakebread is one of my all time favorite wineries... I was part of their wine club for years, but had to give it up (as it got too expensive). Glad you got to taste their wines!! :) It sounds like it was a fabulous weekend.

Anonymous said...

Must try Cakebread. You shopped at Dean and Deluca...we had our picnic across the street at V. Sattui on Saturday.