Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

The Monday before Christmas...

We spent time yesterday cleaning our not dirty house.  It's amazing how much time that can take.  It was lovely to split up the effort and he picked up our junk from down stairs and I did the upstairs.

Jason told me that he had a conversation with his parents about how we don't typically vacuum between visits from Angelica the wonder housekeeper and I'd like to say for the record that while we're not on a floor cleaning schedule, all bits get zipped up on a frequent basis.  Of course, the "parents are visiting paranoia" has kicked in and I want to vacuum lines into the carpet before they arrive.  I remember my mom getting into that frantic mode before holidays too, now she lives in a carpet free environment so the pressure is off. Of course, the conversation was not all about that, but he dropped that tidbit on me and in my weakened mental state it has stuck.

I also think maybe the "Shark" floor cleaner will come out tonight.  Jason has one last chore to do before we become hosts and while he's de-residueing the fireplace glass I'll give the kitchen floors a good steam.  He likes to do the steaming, but the faster we get done the sooner I can sit my ever tired butt on a couch. 

Back to the exciting vacuum story - I checked the bag after getting half of the upstairs done and WOW it was full.  I was tempted to go back and re-vacuum every area I had covered with a clean bag, but this tiny baby is making it hard to breathe so it will have to wait.  Maybe tonight, maybe not...

Our first round of guests arrive tomorrow and while I'm not taking any extra vacation Jason is working half days for the rest of the week.  They will make the required Costco run during an afternoon while I hold down the home office and with other events we have scheduled it's going to be a busy week. 

We're skipping baby class on the 22nd, but have worked out how to get the information we'll be missing (the epidural class.)   I received a lot of that information when I was the birth coach for Janie and thus my only concern is that I want to wait until we're well into labor before taking the drugs so that we've progressed a lot before I'm bed ridden. (more on that topic on the baby blog.)

All of our cards have been sent, our lights have been up for a while and it is quite festive and happy in our house.  I do love this time of year and now that I'm not 14 it's not about the gifts I get it's a genuine enjoyment of the family interaction. 

I am a bit blue that this is the third Christmas in a row that I won't be seeing my aunts, but I'm so happy we don't have to choose between spending Christmas with Jason's parents OR my parents.  It is a wonderful thing to have our most favorite soon to be grandparents gathered together in our home.  I wish my brother and his wife could come up, but they have their own family traditions and it isn't practical to drag their whole world up our way or our world down their way.

There is some comfort in keeping our celebration small, the risk of DRAMA is low.  I'm too old for drama that I don't create on my own.  I'm sure that in 13 or 14 years I'll get enough drama with Lucy.  Lucky us!

So, with that rambling I'm off to get more work done (and then a quick break to steam clean some obscure area of the house).

Happy Monday before Christmas!

No comments: