Monday, May 09, 2011

Happy Mother's Day to me

The first Mother's day... I know it's a holiday for Hallmark and the jewlery stores, but I loved it anyway.  Lucy's gift to momma was to be super cute during church.  She was eyes open the whole time and was practically flirting with the grandmas behind us.  Once the service was over, it took us 20 minutes to get out of the sanctuary because of the folks that "had" to hold the baby.  Thankfully Lucy has a visible timer that goes off when she's done being passed around.  She simply throws up as a "signal" that she's ready to be left alone.  SMART KID.

Lucy & her cousin Jordan.

"Since I'm up here for a burp, I might as well nap."
We went to brunch at Luther's Table in Renton ( and it was lovely.  They haven't been open long and the place is staffed by volunteers so you have to cut them some slack, but the coffee is good and the $5 flatbreads are AMAZING.  I may be bringing my book group there next time it is my turn to host.

After brunch we took a tour of some of the finer establishments in Renton (Target) and then brought our baby home for a 3 hour nap.  Yeah! She slept long enough for us to putter around the house AND watch a movie.  (Thank you Lucy!)

At one point in the day, which really was just a regular day - but one where I could say things like "You change the poopie diaper, I shouldn't have to, it's MOTHER'S Day." I was on the couch with Jason and I was feeding Lucy.  It was a normal moment for us but I looked around at my life and was overcome with happiness.  Just as I was about to make a statement of my supreme bliss one of them passed gas REALLY LOUDLY and kind of killed the moment for me.   It was a remarkably ill timed toot (and yes, I know I toot too.)
hanging out with Dad is fun!

See, I don't always hate the car seat.
Lucy went to bed at 8pm and slept until 5:45.  This is starting to feel more like the norm than accidental night time sleep through.  Of course the night that I had a bit too much wine she needed attention at 3:00 am, but you can't fault the kid for trying to remind Momma that moderation is a requirement.

To cap off my perfect first Mother's day I got to take a nice long soak in my bathtub. 

In addition to the wonderful Mother's Day experiences I received a card from Lucy and perfume from Jason.  The day care gave me a photo of Lucy and a footprint of her left foot.  I wondered why there was blue dye in the folds of her foot - I thought that one of the blue socks she was wearing bled onto her skin.

There were also numerous phone calls and messages from the lovely people in my life.   I feel so loved, blessed and (TOOOOOOT) oh never mind.

No comments: