Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2005

tp gal responds

Ok MWR... point taken:

"Wow, the same thing happened to me! I had no sooner returned from a fabulous two-week vacation in Spain and dyed my hair flame orange when my stupid superiors made me help out the stupid United Way (like that's really a charity!) and made me a floor warden (with the same style of hardhat as the deputy floor warden--a loserly minion but now indistinguishable from me in time of crisis!) . . . AND NOW I have to plan the asinine "Seasonal Gathering."Oh, I've got a plan for them all right. It involves Buca di Beppo, grain alcohol and an aftermath littered with fired minions. I'll have to miss it myself, as it conflicts with my trip to Majorca."

I do want to clarify that I don't hate the United Way... I hate being forced to be a champion for them. I hated it at the paint store where we brought in folks to tell their story of how United Way changed their lives. These stories are moving, extremely powerful and very effective to motivate folks to give. However, at the paint store, we were trying to get kids who were living on $6 an hour to give away their money. I felt like I was being forced to strong arm people and it made me uncomfortable. If I ran the world (and I'm really not sure why I don't) I would have closed the paint store for a day and pay the staff to volunteer some place. It could be a marketing coup! They could place big ads telling the community that the store would be closed (in the off season obviously) and to find the crew, go to XX charity.

It's easy for me to run the paint store now that I haven't worked there in the last seven years. I don't have to trouble myself with things like the finances or anything like that, so managing it from here is pretty simple. Most folks who don't work there anymore, feel like they too could run the show. I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe it's because we really believed in the company and gave it our all and even though we were a little burned out when we left, we still want it to go on. And, for the record, the paint store does go on and it is doing well.

Back to the point, now that a couple of days have passed I have also calmed down about the holiday party. I did have to find another date and beg people to move their schedules around - but it worked out. My excitement is ticking up, and I have a glimmer of hope that it will be fun.

So, while I stand by my earlier post -- I will quit my bitching (for now) and focus on the important things in life, like my hair.

I would like to know how MWR knew I was the floor warden? I'm not actually, I'm the first aid person, so my hard hat has the cool Red Cross symbol on it. The floor wardens don't get the hard hats -- they get whistles and arm bands -- losers!

1 comment:

MWR said...

I'm just a really good guesser. Plus, when you write "all the shitty tasks . . . get dumped on me," I just naturally think "floor warden."

By the way, did you catch this show last night? I missed it myself, but surely would have learned a lot.