Pages

Friday, May 05, 2006

Sleepy Hollow Headache Clinic

If I were a doctor (or had a better color printer) and wanted to run my own business this is the business I would run.

The short trip east was a smashing success and worth the nutty time changes. As I said earlier we were not going to Manhattan but north and it turns out we were in Sleepy Hollow (aka Tarrytown.) Honestly, I thought Sleepy Hollow was a made up place like St. Petersburg or Holland. In spite of the historic tourism opportunites we didn't get out much beyond the IBM research facility. That's the bummer in traveling with a bunch of people - it's hard to get them to skip out on the meeting you flew in for just to see the Sleepy Hollow museum. I'm sure it would have been a quick stop. How long would it take to view a rotting pumpin and a cape?

We did see some cool things:

As we headed out towards the highway or whatever they call them out there "parkway" I noticed an unusual sight. Across the street from the uber retro (real retro not 'we're trying to make the diner look old to take your mind off the nasty bacon' retro) Red Fox diner was a gas station selling their goods for the now not so unusual price of $3.39/gal gas. It wasn't the price that caught my eye it was the big as life or possibly bigger Paul Bunyan guarding the corner of the gas station. He was at least 14 feet tall and had the trademark I'm gonna hold this axe until I die resolve in his eye. He's missing an arm, but that's ok - because as you drive by it looks like he's holding the gas prices like the tablet of commandments. Thou shalt not fill thy tank for less than 40 sheckles!

The only thing truly odd about this American legend is that he's totally decked out in the colors of the BP petrol station that he's standing on. Yes... it's true, Paul Bunyan - hero to American children everywhere for digging the Grand Canyon during a little scuffle with Babe the big Ox as become a Brit. He's as English as kidney pie and Hobbits.


(I didn't take this picture... it is a generous reproduction from a kicky website (www.roadsideamerica.com) that provides directions to the fun roadside attractions in the good old US of A. Based upon the prices shown here, this photo wasn't taken all that long ago, and if you look really close even his eye is green.)


So, other than wondering if Paul defected due to his lack of support for our President the trip was great. The IBM research facility is a geek fest and while I can't really share much of what they showed us - let me just say that if the bestest and most smartest parts of our government can do half of what IBM is creating I might consider moving to the UK. Hurry, I need to buy more tin foil to line my hats.

We were only in town for two nights so our evening outings were limited. Night one they took us to a restaurant founded by the second cousin of Ben E. Hana. Remarkibly the atmosphere and presentation of the food resembled someplace I'd been before. However, with the exception of Joe No. Hana, all the help staff was Hispanic. "More Aroyos for your Hana Special?" (Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are Hispanic Sushi Chefs. I think Japan is recruiting the next line of chefs from Hispania. ooh, did you hear that I think it's thundering here inside my house. OUCH that's hot.)

The second night - IBM really tried to get our business by taking us to a place called "Castle on the Hudson" and the super fabulous 5 star restaraunt Equus.



Dinner was a stunning and memorable four-course festival of delights. I was a tad nervous because there weren't any prices listed on the menu but quickly decided it didn't matter. (I don't think I'll ever really lose that sense of being out of my league in moneyed circles.) It turns out it really wasn't THAT expensive - clearly it's not a place to pop into for a casual burger, but for a date or special dinner with friends it would be grand. (I could be a LITTLE jaded after the $150 lobster course from Rome in 2002.)

The dining room was a cozy space with a massive fireplace that I imagine back in the day the homeowners forced Shirley Temple sweep while she waited for her father to come back from the dead. "Sarah... is that you?"
During dinner a four piece band played lovely music and from out of nowhere my wine glass remained full. On top of the time change, I'm pleased I was able to keep my head on straight. Throwing up into the pool in sight of the $500 a night King Henry the VIII suite wouldn't have been sophisticated.

After dinner we loaded ourselves back into our two massive rental cars and headed back to the Hollow. My group got lost and headed toward New York and had to resort to the GPS system to the hotel. We swore each other to secrecy but my colleagues who were in the other car mentioned in the morning that they got lost on the way back and had to stop and get directions at a Dunkin Donuts.

There is a shocking lack of Starbucks in the burbs of ruralish New York and it was really apparent the next morning as we headed back to Newark for our early flight. We had to get up at 4:15 to head out - as we were only there two nights none of us were adjusted to the time change and it really truly felt like the 1:15 am that it was at home. The flight home was uneventful other than the boss man got upgraded to first class. That just ain't right. We do all the work and he gets the perks. Oh well, today the office hottie told him that he reminded her of her grandfather. (BURN)

So, here's the takeaway:

1)Sleepy Hollow - real place
2) Paul Bunyan - unpatriotic prick
3) Dinner in a Castle... cool
4) Going back to New York? - absolutely!

No comments: