Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sunscream is for wimps

So, spent the weekend in Yakima with the parents. All in all it was a nice visit - but we had it out over the casual "gosh what would make this day perfect is if we had a gaggle of grandkids" comment. After a lengthy discussion under the big walnut tree in the back yard we came to an understanding. It was all very adult. (yikes)

The shortened version was:

...grandkids."
"hey, how do you think that makes me feel?"
"I don't know, don't you think it's funny?"
""No, it makes me feel like you think my life is incomplete. And has it ever crossed your mind that I might want kids and I'm sad about it?"
"God, no, I'm so sorry."
"thanks!"
"Here, have some pie."
"thanks mom!"

It wasn't quite like that, but it was nice to be able to say what I needed to say without reverting to a 5 year old or closing up emotionally.

So, other than THE CONFRONTATION, the weekend was lovely. Ma & Pa have moved back to the property in Granger to live for a few years to avoid capital gains taxes upon the sale of ye old homestead. The renters, who 2 months ago said they were moving were shocked to get the vacation notice and even more shocked when their requests for an extension was met with a kind, but firm no. Ma&Pa's other house sold in 7 days, and by sold I mean day one ad in the paper, day seven, depositing cashiers check in the bank. (People with cash are sooo lucky) So with the other house sold the parents had no choice but to move on to the property of the other house.

The renters finally gathered that my parents were serious about moving back in when they arrived in a camp trailer, parked in in the yard (on the pre-powered, sewered, and watered pad) and started packing up junk in the yard and taking it to the dump. I think it would be conservative to say that the now former renters were pack rats and kept a shitty house and yard. I wonder at what point that type of behavior becomes a mental illness? They had help yesterday moving truckload after truckload of crap away - from 8am until well after 9 people were in and out of the house taking everything. This morning before they came back over, Ma and I peeked in the back window and were jolted by the sight of piles and piles and piles of clothes, boxes, toys, and junk EVERYWHERE. It looked like nothing had been touched!

Once the house is empty the plan is to gut the kitchen, replace the flooring, re-do the bathroom and paint the place before M&D move in permanent-like. Until then, they are living the American dream - camping in the backyard in a 26 foot travel trailer. Needless to say I was thankful for good weather as we were able to spend most of the weekend in the back yard. We pruned the ancient apple tree and took out fence posts. Yup - it's hard labor at the parents house.

I didn't plan very well and only had jeans for the weekend - but it may have been a blessing in disguise... my legs are the only thing on my person that isn't lobster red. My face, scalp and arms have seen better days. I'm hoping that it will stop glowing before I have to head to work tomorrow.

2 comments:

MWR said...

To say nothing of sunscreen. That's for super-wimps!

tp_gal said...

Sunscream is a word found in one of the Tour Spain books i bought in 2005. I wish I was smart enough to have come up with it on my own - but like many things on my blog it's stolen.

You should just be thankful I haven't claimed the much coveted Memo format for my own use. I like it, but will hold off on using it.