Pages

Monday, May 29, 2006

Parenting is Not for Wimps

Holy hell!

I'm spending my extended Memorial Day weekend with my Portland friends. They have a lovely 8 year old daughter and a one month old son. Dad and daughter went to visit family in Spokane so it's been just Mom, Me and Mr. Pukes on Everything.

He is a sweet, even tempered, and calm munchkin - but considering all he does is eat, poop, sleep and fuss he takes up a LOT of time and attention. Yes, that is what babies do, and that parents do give up being the center of their own lives when they have kids - but I didn't get it.

Last night when I went to bed I felt guilty because I knew he was going to get up twice before I rolled my ass out of bed. Wow.

We got all bundled up and went to Bed Bath & Shitty Shit yesterday and were only gone for an hour, but Juni said it felt like a treat to get out of the house and go somewhere. I can see how new moms and dads might feel trapped in their own homes. Little Mr. & Miss Puke-on-Everything-Clean really control the universe. I have so much freedom that I can't imagine a world in which a trip to the shitty shit store is a treat.

It's been really awesome being here, and I've enjoyed it - but man-oh-man never again will I look at a mom at the grocery store and think - could she have taken 12 seconds to comb her hair? The answer is most likely - NO.

have a good one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we fight over who gets to go to the grocery store ALONE... what a thrill!