Pages

Monday, May 01, 2006

The Big Apple... sort of

It's my first trip to New York tomorrow... sort of. We're not going to Manhattan that I know of, so maybe it doesn't count. My boss says that I should find a financial services conference in NYC because I HAVE to see it. "It's a wonder" he says with all sincerity.

This short trip is not that trip. We're headed to someplace north of Manhattan to meet with "big blue" - mom thinks they are owned by the Chinese now but I'm not sure. Since China holds a LOT of our national debt I think we should get use to the idea that Mu Shu Pork is here to stay.

I left work early tonight to avoid getting caught up in the Immigration Rally traffic. I kind of felt sheepish about ducking out early - after all isn't the point of walking off the job and standing in the street to make people like me sit up and listen? Well, sorry I was on a bus headed to the burbs by 4:10.

The new bus stop (my company made our department move into a new building - bye bye office - hello cube) is in a rather dodgy area. (I'm British today if you haven't gathered.) There are always people who hit you up for a quarter while you're waiting for the Red line to Suburbia but at the new bus stop there are a gaggle of loud urban young women who are obviously selling drugs. This isn't a snap judgment - but an observation. They get a phone call, nod to the thug in the hooded sweatshirt with his pants around his knees (it's called a belt Junior... get one.) he walks up shakes hands with phone girl and then they walk to another part of the street and "meet their friend." Why they have to do this at the bus stop is beyond me. I don't like it - and the Seattle Police Officer who was 15 yards away was no deterrent at all.

Anywho -- I should run, I need to look up the weather for Not Manhattan, NY and pack accordingly. Jeans and a flannel shirt probably aren't going to cut it.

2 comments:

MWR said...

They sold their PC business to Lenovo of China.

syp said...

I guess if you ever decide to start using you'll have an easy time getting your fix.