Pages

Monday, May 22, 2006

There’s no Accounting for taste

(sorry, maybe my name stands for terrible pun Gal)

To catch you up on the latest drama at MegaBank here’s a summary:

1) I manage the department budget.
2) Due to a management memo that basically said “hey stop spending needlessly” we’ve cut 28% from our starting numbers which makes every dollar important.
3) In spite of the budget cuts, we still have to pay the bills for services we’ve used.
4) Our little division accounting department is so unorganized that it took 3 months to get an invoice paid (and in order to do that I had to by-pass the division accounting kluge.)
5) Dick H. Ead, the DFO (division finance officer) threatened me verbally.
6) I mentioned this to my boss who in turn mentioned it to Dick's boss
7) Dick was invited to quit (never ever a good invitation)

Now you’re caught up. Here’s what happened last week.

8) My boss had a meeting scheduled with the “NEW” DFO for Friday afternoon.
9) Friday at noon we bumped into new and old DFO in the elevator. AWKWARD!!!
10) My boss asked me to join the meeting.
11) I promised to be nice and not slay the dead dragon.
12) The meeting went ok, my boss shared nothing and I took point on all questions (dull shit like overages/underages)
13) At the end of meeting the new DFO asked me to step out so he could talk with my boss ALONE. (dun da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)
14) 30 minutes later my boss calls me into his office and tells me that I’ve really screwed up. (shart!)
15) but I was nice… I pleaded
16) He then laughs and says that new DFO was really impressed and wants me to report to him “dotted line” (which means NOTHING) so I can have access to all the financial tools myself without having to flow my questions through his minion.

This is good I guess. It’s nice that the new guy doesn’t think I’m a royal bitch the way Dick did. And, I guess it’s good to get the finance experience – especially since I work at a bank. It is a little distressing, because the implication is that now instead of the reports I need just magically showing up, I’ll actually have to do something.

2 comments:

MWR said...

I'm suspicious that if "those who can, do; those who can't, teach," then those who can't teach tweak org charts.

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you ask for at MegaBank - dotted lines are scary and you'll find yourself doing the DFO's job while he sits with his feet on the desk.