Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Online dating is only for the strong



As you may recall, I signed up and paid for one year of eHarmony. Well - it's pretty great getting rejected day after day by men named "Blair" and "Scott" who have used magazine photo's as their profile picture. I'm in one real "match" and we are e-mailing on a semi-weekly basis.

Having not dated since college I'm a little gun shy but am trying to remember that I'm an adult and not revert to that 16 year old girl who got her heart broken. Nor am I the stupid 23 year old who spent her post college years thinking that her friendship would turn into true love the way it did for Sally in When Harry Met Sally. That movie owes me 5 years! To be clear - my friend never led me to believe that he had anything other than friendship feelings -- I was the one with ideas that things would change.

Anywho... (I'm sharing deep dark secrets about myself and am feeling a tad vulnerable over here) Jeffy, (not his real name people... stay with me) seems nice, funny, and has offered voice on voice action but I'm hedging just a bit. I'd like to keep it to e-mail for another week. However, I will promise to all of you that after the 4th I will call and I'm sure the first thing we'll do is set up a time to meet. YIKES.

I will keep you all informed of the terrible trials of a spinster in the throws of attempting to get laid... I mean find a partner. (tee hee)

2 comments:

W, J and R said...

So, I randomly came to your website. Although it took me a long time to admit it (LOL) my partner and I met online a little over five years ago. So, yes true love can be found online... it's not just on the TV commercials.

Best of luck. I, like you, refused to physically talk to John (now my partner) for almost two months. But when he didn't give up emailing, I finally decided it was worth a try.

MWR said...

Among the many things I find ridiculous about eHarmony, few seem sillier than this enforced timidity. Once you have exchanged a few emails with someone, enough to decide there is some interest and he doesn't collect axes, I don't see the point in continuing to email to the exclusion of actual conversation. This is what eHarmony recommends, but I think it makes no sense. I guarantee that your opinions of one another will not be changed one iota by the timing of your first conversation, or your first face-to-face meeting if you decided to have one. So by adhering to eHarmony's gradualist notions, you are either depriving yourselves of time you could have spent together, or prolonging a courtship that isn't going to go anywhere. Either way, it seems best to just get on with it.

Of course, I'm speaking as someone who finds timidity the least attractive quality a potential mate could have (not shyness, timidity). So I'm particularly biased against those parts of eHarmony that seem to encourage timid behavior.

But pay no attention to me. I just feel like venting some spleen. Good luck with "the next step" of actual telephonic communication.