Pages

Sunday, June 04, 2006

X-men III: Laughing in inappropriate places

I was supposed to "save" this movie and see it with Yazmine, but had to choose between X3 and MI3 and opted away from the space alien Tom Cruise and for the super hunky Huge Jackman. I found out later that she'd already seen the movie so I'm not in any trouble which is good - I would have seen it again but I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

The movie was ok, nothing remarkable but I did have a couple complaints. There is a major continuity error at one point in the movie. The villain Magnito (Ian McKellen) is lifting a big bridge and turning it around to get across a large expanse of water - never mind that he could have made all the cars in the city line up to form a makeshift bridge - but that's neither here nor there... but as the bridge spins it is clearly mid-day and CUT to the bridge setting down on the island and BOOM it's night time. Um... obvious!

My other problem was when a key character bites it - the other mutants take back to the school the only thing that's left of the poor hero. This item is not totally useless and yet they stand around it and talk about the dearly departed as if we (the stupid audience) wouldn't be able to be sad without the image of the item. I had the image of a dad taking Junior's dog for a walk and bringing back the leash to the kid to tell him the dog is dead. It was over done and made me giggle a little causing the back of my head to be seared by nerd death rays.

I didn't think Halle Berry was as bad as the reviewers claimed. I head one guy say that if she was using the comic book for inspiration that she hit it dead on - "she's is flat and displays no depth or emotion" ouch. I thought it wasn't overly horrific and think it's fantastic that she can turn her acting ability off so she doesn't run out of it.

Also, saw this at the Cinerama in downtown Seattle. The million dollar restoration was great, but the seats are shit! They rock back, but there's no stopping the seat. I had to sit in a funky position and use my legs as leverage so as to not rock back and hit the angry nerd behind me. At the end of the movie my back hurt and my quads were killing me.

Frankly NOTHING will be worse than the scene in Star Wars 3 when the newly suited Darth Vadar is told that he killed the (also flat) Padme and he takes three Frankenstein-like steps and yells with all the fake emotion he can muster.. "No!!!!!!" (giggle from tpgal's seat) The ending of that movie SUCKED.

Maybe the problem is trillogies... the third MATRIX was so jacked up that I don't think even the writers understood what was happening. Thankfully, Canoe isn't very bright and probably doesn't need to understand a role to do it well. There was a scene where our hero Neo is close to death and I was not only praying for it to be over quickly for him, but that I might die too. That's not a good feeling to have during a movie.

I loved the Lord of the Rings and think Pete Jackson did an amazing job. Making all three at the same time was brilliant and probably saved the second and third movies. I did have an issue with the montage ending - but I"m not sure how it could have been done differently.

The Harry Potters are going well, but I'm worried about the "child" actors. These kids are not kids anymore, and they don't have that Michael J. Fox eternally youthful glow either. If they try to switch to a new Harry and the gang I think they'll ruin it - so they better keep filming fast and furiously. But, after the last book I might not even care anymore. I'm not over the shock of the turn of events - don't kill all the father figures angry rich divorced lady... leave us a couple will you?

No comments: