Pages

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Slumberjack


As I've casually mentioned, July will for me include some camping-like experiences. Since I hate the failure of air matresses to be a) comfortable b) consistently inflated and c) warm I looked on line for an alternative. After shopping around I opted for the Slumberjack - a massive cot with a glorious sized sleeping space. (My complaint about fold out beds is those horrific bars in the small of my back.)

The Slumberjack has, aside from a great name, a simple set up and a handy shelf under the cot to store things off the ground. This should come in handy during my Gambleside camping experience and I want to keep socks or books off the floor of the tent.

I unpacked Slumberjack and put it together to give it a test "lay" (tee hee) in the living-room. Man oh man is it ever massive! It's also really tall, which is probably going to be a problem. My feet don't even come close to touching the ground when I sit on the edge, so getting out of it required a face down position enabeling me to swing my whole leg off the cot and lift myself up with a one legged hopping movement. I may need to figure something else out when using the cot in the "wilderness". Maybe I can push the cot legs into mother earth a bit and lower the distance to the ground. The other option would be to cover my head and just tip the dang thing over to get out of it.

If I return from my July vacation with facial bruises you'll know I didn't solve the height problem.

1 comment:

MWR said...

How many Sherpas did it come with?