Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2006

So, my job may have it's dull aspects but there are up sides that can not be denied. Getting to travel to Ireland and Spain are two very excellent examples of things that should not be forgotten when I've been stuck in airless rooms for days on end listening to people talk about compensating controls for risks. (zzzz)

The overseas trips are most likely over for the time being, but that's alright. There are plenty of wonderful places in the US to visit.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a conference in Arizona. What a nice way to cap off the summer. This is a three day event that is centered around security and risk management, but its also designed to facilitate networking for women in this field. (I know, if it was a men's only event we'd be screaming bloody murder.) Technically it is open to individuals of all genders - and there are a few use-to-be-men (or soon-to-be-not-men) who will be in attendance so it's not entirely segregated. Anyway - the conference sessions are serious topics and the night time activities are all girlie girl. There's the ladies golf scramble Tuesday morning followed by a massage (I have to pay for these activities on my own thank you very much) a wind down by the pool and a cocktail party (Tuesday is a travel day - and thus no brainwork needed.) Wednesday following a day of sessions there's pool time built into the day and then a "Goddess Party". I know it will include an open bar, dancing, a show and togas. I spent my afternoon searching the web for a good toga idea and about 2 hours putting it together. I opted for an ethereal HOT PINK toga with gold rope. In events past the ladies have gone all out with their costumes and I didn't want to show up in a dreadful white sheet stolen off my heavenly bed.

Thursday (due t the expected hangovers) we start late and end around 5 - where there's more pool time on the agenda. A lot of networking happens at the pool - it's pretty great.

I leave butt-ass early Friday and arrive home at 9 - I'll be working from here rather than heading into the office so it's a light week. Yeah!

It's not lost on me that I am flying tomorrow and I am no more apprehensive about flying on September 11th than I am any other day. (I've actually flown every Sept. 11th since 2001 and if anything people are more polite than they are other days.) On the 5th year anniversary the news people are featuring the attacks and aftermath as part of their programming. I sincerely hope that not once did some tv executive talk about ratings or revenue for this programming. In flipping on the tv this morning I saw that HBO was showing one of the documentaries and I couldn't walk away. I sat there and cried like I did the day it happened. More skilled people than I could probably sum up the enormity and the sincerity of the lingering pain in my heart for those that died and their families. My attempts are inadequate but I will say that the "we will never forget" slogan is more than just a faded bumper sticker to me. (See, it sounds trite.)

Oh well, perhaps I am trite - that could be my gift to the world.

No comments: