Pages

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Messy Martha; The New Normal

Mom came over this weekend for a day of labor at Maison Du Pu Pu. Things are really coming along.

Yesterday we moved all the boxes and furniture into the new heated storage unit. We got the bedroom cleaned (as good as good gets), the office emptied - QUITE an accomplishment (thank you again Becky, Ali & Janie!), took a truckload of crap to the dump and argued about the pile for goodwill.

The goodwill argument went something like this...

Moms: "You should store all of this in case she comes home."
Me: "She's not coming home."
Moms: "Just in case, you should save this."
Me: "Um no."
Moms: "Fine.
Me: "Fine"

Fast forward one hour

Moms: "I want the (insert name of something like a basket or storage cart.)
Me: "What happened to "what if she comes home."?
Moms: "Give me the keys, I'm putting it in the trunk.
Me: "Fine."
Moms: "Fine."

(I bet you can't wait for the screenplay that I'm writing to come out. I am so good at dialog that it's riveting!)

After our work party (partially enhanced by labor from "Hansen's Helping Hands") we disinfected ourselves, ate a yummy bite at Denny's and headed to the ICU to visit Martha.

I do feel terrible about how long E sits there without visitors and I could give up the entire weekend to come up, do hard labor and then sit with her at the hospital and watch her sleep, but as I'm a shitty niece I don't. We spoke with the ICU nurse who gave us the 411 on her condition - improved!

She does have a slight case of the MRSA the antibiotic resistant infection. "Slight" in the way that some folks describe themselves as a "little" pregnant. Um, you are or you aren't. To visit we had to gown and glove up, but got to skip the face and eye masks. I think if she had a cold or alergies it would be full on coverage.

We woke her up (the nurse said to) and got her to eat some of the "yummy" chicken alfredo. Honestly, she looks like shit - she's retaining water like crazy and is so puffy she looks like a wet sponge.

She said she wanted a surprise so I dug her eye glasses out of my purse and made her day. I then got the nurse to bring her paper and a pen and she was super happy. She's very creative (sample above) and has spent years making quilts, custom cards, writing and then of course there's the music. I certainly didn't get the music gene, or the art gene. My gifts are sarcastic humor, astounding beauty, and humility. (See item number one.)

The visit went well; I'll be checking in with the doctor this week. Once the infection is under control they want to do a procedure to help prop her poor brain back up into the zone where it's supposed to be (which is the theory behind why she is altered.) The ICU RN said she didn't think we were at the heroics phase and indicated that there would be frank discussions if/when we get there.

This is all very new to me and I'm hopeful that we're doing the right thing for her.

No comments: