Pages

Sunday, January 08, 2006

My bad hair travel day

I have to teach a class in Chicago on Monday and apparently the only flight to Chicagoland was at 8:45 Sunday morning. So, after a whirlwind day Saturday of trying to 'relax' and still get all the weekend chores done I went to bed early so the 5:30 am alarm wouldn't be too horrid. It was.

The nicest thing I can say about leaving the house at 6:50 on a Sunday morning is that traffic doesn't suck.

My hairclip set off the security detector, and the surly burly TSA (wanker) made me take it out of my hair rather than use the wand. Honestly, I think the security measures we have to deal with are fine, but my hair clip!? Clearly, this guy doesn't now, nor ever has lived with a woman. I was pissed that he wouldn't even consider 'wanding' me and don't tell me it's for my own safety -- if they can wand the belt region they can wand my skull. My hair looked like crap after the clip came out.

I did manage to finagle a first class upgrade for the flight so I was cozy and comfortable when we left the gate but then had to return for two hours because of a communication error. My main complaint about the flight wasn't the delay but the inattentive flight attendant. This guy may have forgotten that 'attendant' is part of the job description. Mr. Service stood in the 'galley' pouring himself 3 (THREE) cups of coffee while the coach class attendants passed out water to the other passengers. He tried to talk the other attendant out of providing any beverage service while we waited. "Why would you pass out water, they can wait" he said. I was surprised by his lack of interest in his passengers. He never did bring out coffee (even during the flight) and to make us feel even more ignored he didn't pick up our service items.

I know that I sound silly and petty but for right this minute I am.

After checking into the lovely AmeriSuites hotel in Vernon Hills, Il I went out again to scout out the 'neighborhood' and try to locate a grocery store. I hit the 'Dillards' which is Chicago for Safeway and noticed a SuperTarget across the street. This isn't your average Target -- but a "Super" Target. I might go check it out tomorrow after work -- I hope it's not too super, I didn't pack a bag.

It could be hard to go to sleep tonight, but thanks to the early start and the extra lengthy flight I might be able to hit the hay 'on Chicago time.' I do love that nightly programming starts early out here. It's nice to stay 'up' for late night tv and still be in bed by 10. That's not reason enough to move East, but I can like it.

I'm realizing this entry is a little more "at 10am I got out of bed and chose the blue socks with the pink stripe" than I normally post - but I've had a bad hair day.

No comments: