Pages

Monday, August 28, 2006

it's so dark....

It is very dark on my floor where I work. The building has the super great (and by super great I mean sucky) lights that dim when it is “bright” outside to save on energy costs. I’m not sure who defined “bright” but they clearly don’t work near my cube. The lights are so dim that we have all brought in desktop lighting – which I’m sure uses more electricity than the darned overhead lights.

Thomas, my next cube neighbor to the left (1.3 arm lengths away) said that he tried to adjust the lights but couldn’t. Leanne, my next-next cube neighbor on the other side of Thomas (so 5.3 arm lengths away) said she was going to call in a “trouble ticket” about the lights and Minon who sits kitty corner (and 1.3 arm lengths away) suggested we try the adjust the lights again before calling. So, as Leanne, Minon and I walked toward the light panel I heard Thomas grumbling. “oh yeah…don’t take my word for it…”

After an unsuccessful attempt to adjust the lights we returned to our cells and Thomas was still mumbling. I tried to placate him by reminding him that sometimes, people need to see for themselves. It’s not a matter of distrust or disbelief but self discovery. Like a child who foolishly touches the stove, our little hands had to try the light switch.

I don’t know if building maintenance will come and adjust the lights, but at least now we know it is out of our control. We are hunkered together in a confined space with no light and no food (the vending machines are 100 yards away) – we’re like moles. They’ve even put shutters on the exterior of the windows – like bars on a large prison cell.

Oh my… happy Monday.

No comments: