Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Reunion Recap

Whew...the class of 1986 reunion was a hit! Lots of former Fighting Fishermen showed up, and I think I got to talk to everyone. Based on how sore my jaw was... I'm pretty sure I did.

Our foreign exchange student from Sweden came for the event. AnnaMaria was possibly the most anticipated F-E student in IHS history. All the sport-boys immediately joined the AFS (association of foreign students?) Club upon learning that our new class member was an 18 year old from Stockholm. They were envisioning a Swedish Heidi Klum. When AnnaMaria arrived it was clear that the boys wouldn't stay active in AFS. She was a Swedish, but her family has emigrated from Poland a few years earlier. She was robust with crazy wiry hair, she smoked and drank- we loved her!

Other classmates who made a lot of effort to attend came from Virginia, Louisiana, and Alaska.

People looked totally different and yet exactly the same. Chris, the basketball jock who wrote that his goal was to be BillyRay "dunk" from the Chicago Bulls showed up and was a cowboy! He was sporting boots and everything. He whipped out a picture of his boys and they both had on the cutest cowboys hats.

Cheri hadn't changed at all, but it was as if they guys we're seeing her for the first time. I kept hearing them comment on how "hot" she is. Funny! She always was the nicest, most genuine person and now she's teaching second grade.

June emailed on Friday that she didn't think she was coming and we had to invoke a little ass kicking. She came, she had fun, and she has further proof that I am always right. (Some of the time.)

The topic of conversation with almost everybody (as I feared) started out with are you married, have kids? Since I'm a no to both and in this crowd you have to be careful about talking about your work (first of all, I am more than what I do, and secondly being successful can come across like bragging to someone who gets up at 2am to fish all day for $40k a year) So, I was short and sweet "I've got a great job where I get to travel some, a great home and I'm happy. How about you?" It seemed to work. Some of the folks were doing rounds with specific questions "what's the greatest thing you've accomplished?" Uh... I'm a world famous blogger? (nope)

Let's see what else was notable.... Paul, the "not-gay" guy took advantage of the karaoke stage to belt out a few songs... his choice of a Ricky Martin tune had the room buzzing. I missed his rendition of "Feelings" but I'm sure it was "not gay" either. MWR asked... "Are those flames on his shirt?"

This is PM and Tracy doing a duet of some sort.














Speaking of MWR and MC (Yaz's hubby) these guys are great! They endured 4+ hours of bad music and people talking about themselves all for a less than superb dinner. They bugged out around 11 and were gracious when we asked to stay. MC's comment was... why didn't you figure out you could catch a ride 3 hours ago? (funny!)

Here's Janie and Flea with their post HS headgear:











The reunion dinner (this is "stuffed pork") wasn't the only event - there was a picnic and a night our at "the" bar which we skipped in favor of a decent nights sleep.










Saturday day we hit Chico's pizza and went to the beach with June, and family... It was a great weekend and I think I'm finally recovered (last night I was in bed again by 9)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Terri & Friends. So sorry I couldn't make it to the reunion. It looked like you had tons of fun. Thanks for the great pictures!
Cheryl Chabot Seeley
Keep in touch: seeleycc@yahoo.com