Pages

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Now I've done it...

Well friends and family I may have made a terrible mistake.

Yesterday I posted my break up with Mel Gibson. I do believe he is sorry for what he said, and like most who error I believe that he too will be forgiven. I however think that he doesn't deserve any more of my money so he will join the ranks of Tom Cruise (whom I use to love so much until he kidnapped poor Katie and took on women with clinical depression) in the less loved entertainmenters list.

So, tonight I log on to my statcounter to see if ANYONE besides my mother and my 3 friends are reading my blog and I find that "anonymous" has posted a comment to my Mel Gibson posting. Basically it says "who gives a shit..." Hmmm, I thought that is interesting, I wonder WHO does give a shit?

It took about 1 mintue to filter through the MASSIVE LOGS of everybody that has viewed that post since it hit the web (all 5 of them) and I was able to weed out the regulars and found two "new" viewers. One dude had one of those sites that looks like it was written by a script and as nothing in the site was in english I moved on to " Yellow Blue Red" who has an articulate, well written site and hit immediately upon my guy. His last post is basically about how the media (and world) should leave Mel alone. He goes on to explain in detail the truthiness of "Passion of the Christ" and on and on.

Clearly "Yellow" is a little bit "Fox News" and I'm a little bit "Colbert Report" and our online dating profiles would NEVER be matched by eHarmony.

Lacking the ability to leave well enough alone I posted this comment on his latest blog:

RE: Your nasty comment on my blog.

Apparently you are the one who cares about the silly little things on my stupid blog that mostly only my family reads.

You are completely entitled to your opinion, as am I. Even though I am not trying to start a war or a great debate with you. I am brave enough to leave my name.

I don't think that Mr. Gibson is sitting around his house plotting against any sect of persons or religion and I am sure he regrets his comments but I am breaking up with him as a fan. It's not a Jewish thing, or a Catholic thing - it's a human thing.


(sorry MWR for borrowing the memo format)

I'm sure that Yellow will retort with something that will be unkind - maybe he'll attack my unwillingness to use spell checker or the pedestrian nature of my posts. Do I care? Not really.

I'm sure that the media will probably roast Mr. Gibson well beyond the relevence of this "story" Just look how long it's taken them to leave poor Michael Jackson alone? I shouldn't wrap up by comparing hate speach to child molestation but I do want to say that our world is in trouble and if we can't find a way to respect each other we're going to go down in bad bad way. I choose to do my part by not contributing financially to a person who doesn't share my respect for others.

For the record, I am not now, nor ever have been Jewish. (Not that there's anything wrong with it....)

So Mr. Yellow... post what you will, I am done.

3 comments:

MWR said...

Perhaps this is the wrong time to bring this up, but does the StatCounter detail enable you to determine the homepages/blogs of your visitors? The "referring URL" is just the site your visitor came from—the site they visited immediately before yours—it's not necessarily their own site. Couldn't it be that your commenter was not Yellow Blue Red at all, but just someone had done a blog search for entries on Mel Gibson?

In which case Mr. Yellow Blue Red is probably feeling rather confused right now.

Anonymous said...

You go, TP Gal. I couldn't agree more. Unlike "Anonymous" (whoever he or she may really be), I actually *do* give a shit about Mel's recent actions... his behavior was despicable, and it's exactly the kind of behavior that is making this world such a crazy place. Mel is in the dog house as far as I'm concerned... I won't help him further his views by paying to see his movies.

Enza Ferreri said...

tp gal,

mwr got it right in this case.

Of course 'the "referring URL" is just the site your visitor came from—the site they visited immediately before yours—it's not necessarily their own site'.

You seem to have problems reading your statistics logs. "Jumping to conclusions" springs to mind.

I have never posted a comment on your blog, I did not even know that your blog existed before I found a strange comment on my blog accusing me of something that I had not done.

That perhaps could be a lesson that, when we feel too self-righteous, we might be too eager to condemn others without evidence or knowledge of the facts, at the same time lacking capability for self criticism.