Pages

Monday, February 11, 2008

pitfalls of eating in public

I didn't agonize too much about the possible issues related to my new eating process when deciding to attend this conference. There's a lot of social eating with this crowd. Every meal between Sunday night dinner and Thursday afternoon lunch will be in the round. Meaning that at least 8 other people will be at the table with me.

Last night the "member advisory board" upon which I hold a seat went to dinner to extend a meeting we had during the day. We left our fancy hotel and went next door to the steak house. I was able to skip the salad and appetizer trap because we had just come from an appetizer and coctail party.

I ordered an 8 ounce steak, that came with creamed spinach and scalloped potatoes. My second grade command of the english language puts me at a disadvantae when attempting to express the rich, savory flavors on that plate. I ate slowly and cherished each flavor nugget.

In the end I ate about half of the steak, a third of the potatoes and about 4 bites of the spinach. To me, it seemed like I ate a lot but one of my dinner companions expressed concerns about the quality of my food. I was adamant that it was superb but there was a lot of worry. I was tempted for about 23 seconds to share my situation, but based on the fact that we had already discussed "womens" issues I didn't want to share something intensly personal with these folks. (5 men) It might be hard to see the connection, but there is one.

Breakfast was a lot easier today, smaller plates and it was a buffet. People don't get concerned when you eat all the oatmeal in your bowl and never notice that instead of 2 cups of oatmeal with sugar, raisins and milk that you're only eating half a cup.

As the week progresses I'm sure it will come up again. I've been so open with the people in my real life, and at work that it's interesting to me that I'm not really willing to bring that aspect into this forum.

No comments: