Pages

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Last Nights Dinner -- Yummy


Adapted from the February 2009 Real Simple Magazine.

Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie.

This was super yummy and pretty easy to put together! The only bummer... I couldn't eat more of it. (Damn the gastric bypass when the food is wonderful!) The second picture is the left overs after dinner last night.

chicken and vegetable pot pie

what you're going to need
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, chopped (I used medium, and wish I had used 1 1/2 onions)
4 carrots, diced (medium to small carrots, peeled and then diced)
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used one I didn't mind finishing with dinner.)
2 cups milk
1 10 oz package of frozen peas (peas don't actually come in 10 oz. sizes anymore, so I used 1/2 of a 16 oz package, and about 5 oz of frozen corn - because I had it.)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme ( DO NOT USE LEMON THYME... it is very fragrant.)
kosher salt & black pepper
9 inch pie crust (I used frozen crust cuz I just don't love my family as much as you might love yours.)
1 1/5 or 2 quart baking dish (round or oval)

what you're going to do:

Cook chicken in pot of simmering water until cooked (10-12 min) , drain, let cool and shred (I cut my chicken in to manageable chunks so it would cook evenly before the water cooking.)

Once chicken is done, set it aside, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat (use a pan big enough to hold all the ingredients) Add onions, potato, and carrots and cook until they are softened. (8 - 10 minutes depending on your comfort level with crunchy veggies. I like the crunch, my dad likes the mush, so I would cook it longer for him.) Don't let the onions darken. Add the flour and cook, stirring for about a minute.

Add the wine (have a glass yourself - you're making dinner for pete sake!) and cook until it is evaporated. Add the milk and simmer until the mixture thickens. (2-3 minutes). Stir in chicken, peas, thyme (not lemon thyme), salt and pepper (to taste).

Once mixed together pour into a 1 1/2 - 2 quart baking dish. Lay crust on top, pressing to seal. Cut several vents and put pie on a baking sheet. Bake about 30-35 minutes at 400 until it is golden brown.

If you're not looking to completely remove all carbs from your world I would use the second pie crust under the filling. (Put the bottom crust down and THEN add the contents, but if you don't want to follow my directions, you're on your own.)

This makes a very big serving - they say 6. I say if you're serving anything else, it could serve 8. If you're a small(er) family, then divide the mix into 2 and bake one, freeze the other.

Don't forget what I said about the Lemon Thyme - it really changes the flavor of this dish in not a good way.... NO LEMON THYME. Lemon Thyme BAD.

In our next blog, What I learned about cooking with lemon thyme vs. regular thyme.

No comments: