Pages

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Home away from home

Here I am again in San Jose. woo who

This is a what we call a mixed blessing. I would rather be home than anywhere else - or rather, with my cute new hubby. I suppose if pressed, I'd like to take my cute new hubby and all my wonderful friends for exciting and new experiences. Like, maybe lets all go to Switzerland for a month of skiing, alp viewing, cocoa sipping and spa's in luxurious hotels. Then, maybe let's pack it up and go to somewhere where we can enjoy pleasant outdoor weather and build schools for kids or some other enriching activity where we can feel better about ourselves.

TANGENT

Back to me... up at 4:30 this morning for a now quicker jaunt to the airport. Those extra 15 minutes are nice, but there was no line at security and they were boarding my plane when I arrived which means I didn't leave a lot of room for error.

The flight was easy, and unlike normal I actually didn't sleep on the inbound flight. I foolishly devoured my book and now without reading material. I can pick something up for the ride home, but I have two nights here with nothing to do but watch crappy hotel tv.

I'm not sure who selected the TV offerings, but clearly sports minded people are the audience they were trying to please. I don't know why you would need 5 ESPN type channels and yet not have BRAVO or HGTV to keep the non-sports people happy. It's a mystery. I have complained, but feel like I am one lone (female?) voice in the din.

I picked up a new project today, and have a solid direction for the rest of the year which makes me happy. We'll see what 2010 brings... there has been no talk about extending my contract, but the work seems to be extending beyond December.

We'll see. Jas has been very patient while the year ticks down and we don't have a solid road map. I'm working multiple angles.

I wish I was home, as I want to get the last of the boxes put away. We made wonderful progress over the weekend - moved 98% of the boxes from the storage unit into their rightful homes. I've opened all the kitchen boxes and all of the china & glassware items. We do have a table full of items that are as of yet homeless, and some MAY remain homeless.

Once the loft area is more put together, I'll move some of the "lesser grown up" knickknacks into that area. I love the "Wilson" volleyball, but it won't have a home in the downstairs area. Sorry buddy. I'm pretty confident I'm not alone in this assessment.

The floor cleaned up very well from the toxic blue laundry detergent spill, but the walls need another coat of paint. I was up early yesterday and painted one coat before I started my workday. There was an improvement, but I think Jas and I will always know where the spots are. The wall most affected has two skylights casting wonderful daylight. This is nice but highlights the shadows of the detergent splatters. Sigh.

Someone kindly commented that this incident is similar to getting the first door ding on your brand new car. true so true. Still, I want to send Samsung a nasty note about their "non-shaking" machines. I'm SURE that would make me feel better...

NOT.

More later!

No comments: