Pages

Saturday, December 05, 2009

Good Parking?

Since the day we moved, all these 6 weeks ago Jason has been complaining about foot pain. He's had prior foot issues and uses inserts in his shoes to enable him to walk more than 30 feet without needing a morphine shot. With this minor sharing violation you can see where foot pain is an area of concern.

He broke down and went to the podiatrist about three weeks ago and was told that it was just a sprain. Seems reasonable, he didn't fall or drop anything on his foot. That's not entirely true, a year ago I dropped a Costco sized shampoo bottle on his bare foot. I really doubt it has been waiting in dormancy for the right moment to actually cause pain. (I, by the way, should not be trusted to help with putting away even minorly heavy things around barefooted people.)

Back to our story. Jas was told to take AdvilTM every 6 hours and it would clear up. Well - maybe JUST MAYBE the doctor should have taken an x-ray.

Friday, after the pain in his foot was getting worse he opted to call a different doctor who did take an x-ray and discovered a stress fracture in the 4th metatarsal (the long bone in the foot that would be, on your hand, the "ring finger".) He came home Friday in a boot. Thankfully a plaster cast is not required.

I want to beat up the first doctor a little bit, but think suing for malpractice might be a tiny bit excessive. Just maybe.

(This picture is NOT jason's x-ray. I borrowed it from a helpful website about stress fractures. )

He didn't think to get the parking pass, and I'm ok with that. I would hate to displace some actually disabled person because we wanted kick butt mall parking at Christmas time. I'm evil but still have a heart.

However, we're having people over tonight and in true northwest style I think we'll ask everyone to remove shoes... or at least their left shoe. MWR... calm down, we don't require the removal of shoes in our house. I would ask for the removal of stiletto heels as they can damage the hardwood floors, but regular shoes are welcome. We own a vacuum.

Jason is a good sport and just 24 hours with the boot has made his foot feel better. He is ducking out of dishes and vacuuming, but that's fine. I'll make up for it the next time I have bookgroup at my house. Shhhh.... don't tell him, but I have him convinced that ALL the book group husbands do the cooking and cleaning during the book group meeting. It is an AWESOME thing.

Anyway, Hop-along is calling my name. Gotta run!

Happy Saturday.

1 comment:

MWR said...

Note that podiatrists are not real doctors. They have not attended medical school or earned an M.D.