Pages

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Where is Christmas?

It would be so easy to get mired down in the news of late. I'm heartbroken for four nee five families who have lost members of their families to stupid, senseless violence.

I'm conflicted over the resolution of the manhunt for the 'suspect'. On one hand, I think a trek through our criminal system is the way to go, but clearly that system failed us. It failed the four slain officers, their parents, their kids, their spouses, their friends, their co-workers and all of us. It failed the people he committed (allegedly) other crimes against, and it failed the officer who now has to live with killing him this morning.

On the other hand, wow could he appear MORE guilty of this crime? He had a wound from being shot (which I'm sure will show the age of the wound to coincide with the incident Sunday) and was carrying a firearm removed from one of the dead Parkland Policemen. I think maybe a big "I DID IT" sign may be the only other proof needed.

I was reading the comments that readers posted to the Seattle Times story about the shooting (of the suspect) today and I am confused as to how people can honestly question the actions of the officer. I doubt he was out at 2:45 a.m hoping that he would get to gun down the perp. I know I live in the land of believing the police are here to help us, but this situation seems extremely clear and while I think the benefit of the doubt is a good thing, in this case I have no need for doubt.

So, this story is still all over the news and I hope that the issue of parole is one that isn't forgotten. But... in light of all this doom and gloom I need to get my Christmas on. Thankfully, I live with the happiest Christmas elf on the face of the earth. Friday the morning music selection turned to the holiday mix and I was treated to a joyful dance to "Have a Holy Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives. (Burl wasn't doing the dancing - only the singing.)

I will shake off my sadness, grab an ornament and get to the things that are enjoyable about the holidays. I'm so happy we'll be spending Christmas morning in our new house with both of our parents. I will hug my parents extra tight when they arrive.

This is the last of the bummer posts for a while. I promise.

1 comment:

pnb_dave said...

I have pretty much stopped reading the reader comments on the Seattle Times website (or any other news website, for that matter). For some reason, news stories seem to bring out the worst of people: ignorance, bigotry, and just plain insanity.