Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

"Do you want to know what I don't like about you?"

This is a question you really hope your life partner never really asks. I was in the middle of cleaning up after dinner last night (he cooked a yummy Shrimp Scampi) and I half heard the question so I casually answered "Sure... wait... what!?"

Then, in true Jason style he said "You make the weekends pass too fast."  (This is the part where you will either say "aawwwee, how sweet" or throw up in your mouth.  Either reaction is acceptable.)

What's funny about this is that for the second weekend in a row we didn't really have much planned.  Yes, there was the wonderful family baby shower last Saturday but we both had a free day off on Monday and our Sunday and Monday were very low key (movies on the couch) days.

This weekend we decided on Saturday morning to drive to Yakima to drop in and visit the parents.  It was a fun day.  In addition to getting to visit with my mom and dad in their home we were also able to see the Aunts and Uncle Ed.   It is nice when everyone is getting along.  I'm probably not supposed to acknowledge that my mom and her sisters are in a perpetual cycle of getting along and then NOT getting along.  It's pretty frustrating when they aren't because everyone retreats to their own corners and (my guess) pouts until one of them finally apologizes or reaches out to make contact.

The upside is that unlike the rift taking place on Jason's side of the family the Aunts tend to make up (fairly) quickly.  I never fully trust it and always wish them the best, but in the end it is far better to not get in the middle. I simply enjoy it when they are getting along.

Road tripping with Jason is fun.  We torture each other with our music selections.  He forces me to listen to Metalica backed by the San Francisco Symphony (seriously) and I make him listen to "vagina music" like Dido. Eventually we compromise and listen to the classics from our youth.  I find it funny that these are songs that everyone knows (Mr. Roboto, Copacabana, Hotel California) but Jason has never really internalized the lyrics to.  He simply can not sing along, in fact he wasn't aware of the 'plot' of Copababana.  EXCUSE ME!?  How do you not know that Lola ends up crazy and drunk in a disco mourning the loss of Tony 30 years later.  Heck, she's wearing the same yellow dress!  It's a classic.


The best moment in our road trip was when the song Mr. Roboto came into rotation and my beloved did try to sing along.  He's aware that there's a part of the song that isn't in English.  He started to belt out "como taille vous Mr. Roboto."  I almost killed us by driving off the road while laughing.  "Domo arigato Mr. Roboto" I corrected.  "It means the same thing, right?" he asks.  Um, no.  I think you're asking "how are you Mr. Roboto" and every punk kid in America knows one phrase in Japanese "thank you very much Mr. Roboto."   I don't think Mr. Roboto speaks French.  I don't know, maybe his IBM brain now has that kind of processing power, but in 1983 I don't think he did.  


I don't blame Jason for not knowing the words to all the schlocky 70 and 80's songs.  Clearly, road trips and singing in the car wasn't an activity that was part of his up bringing.  The fact that he thinks I'm amazing for being able to sing song after song is nice.  Heck, I don't even really have to know all the words, he's impressed with my knowledge of the choruses.  I love that he doesn't hate me for singing along.


We were home by 9pm and had time to watch more of season 2 of Dexter before bed. 


Sunday I woke with a craving (hankering) for blueberry pancakes and we somehow managed to get in a breakfast at a local joint before church.  My energy yesterday was terribly low because I slept like crap the night before. We went to bed around 11 and I was up at midnight and then woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep.  I was up until 6am- that sucked the life out of my day Sunday. 

I was able to get in a nap in the afternoon which helped, but I'm thankful that we felt compelled to finish Dexter rather than some big house project like laundry or moving furniture around.  Time on the couch was enjoyable.

The road trip was fun, but I'm not really sure what what so remarkable about our weekend, we didn't go skiing or zip off to Paris.  It was just life.  I guess this is a good thing.  Our life is about to get even MORE housebound (for a while anyway) and the fact that he likes to hang out with me is a bonus. 


We have a busy week (dinner with friends, doctor appointments, the installation of our new kitchen sink and then his birthday is Friday) but the only weekend plans that we have are to get our "hospital bags" packed.  Exciting...

No comments: