Saturday, January 29, 2011


Well that was a rough day.  I was up at 4am and hit with what I'm assuming is (was) a virus.  Vomiting and the lesser fun expulsion of 'stuff' from my person started shortly thereafter. 

I moved to the couch in our loft to avoid waking Jason (and to be in a bathroom far far away).  At 7:30 I heard him get up and then go back to bed.  I assumed he would see I wasn't in bed, but the pregnancy pillow is a perfect body substitute (make a mental note if you're ever going to try to break out of prison, the pregnancy pillow and some hair and you can fool the guards into thinking you're still in your cell.)

What I didn't know is that he didn't go back to sleep, he was quietly entertaining himself (NO, not that, the airplane game) waiting for me to wake up.  When I got up to use the restroom he was confused and then alarmed by the lights and then the oh so lovely sounds of hurking in a far away room.

Once we established that we were both up, I came back to bed to tell him what was going on. By this time I was worried because my attempts to stay hydrated were failing.  Drink water then throw up water.  Repeated over and over again.   Dehydration and being 9 months pregnant is a bad combination.  It can throw you into early labor. 

We called the on call OB who suggested strongly that we make our way to the hospital to get checked out and to get an IV.  Those of you who know me know I'm not one to lightly run to the hospital, but I didn't hesitate.  We were up, dressed, cleaned up, freshly vacated for the ride over and gone.

I have to give Jason some serious credit for holding it together as he drove me to Bellevue.  I know he was worried, and me with my bucket wasn't too pretty.  Once at the hospital they put me to bed, asked me to provide a urine sample (couldn't.... that should tell you how "dry" I was) and then started the IV - but not until I threw up for the nurse.  Actually, I don't think she was waiting for me to throw up, but the IV went in about 2.4 seconds after I did it.

We were there about 90 minutes and with the fluids and the anti-nausea shot I was feeling better.  I was cleared to go home by the doctor (whom I never saw, but I'm sure will bill us anyway.) 

Imagine my complete disappointment when I continued to require the use of my trusty bucket in the car on the way home.  Again, way to go Jason for not giving up a sympathy hurl in the car.

I was put on a diet of bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and told to drink either Gatorade (plain or anything without red dye in it) or vita water.  I went to back to bed and Jason headed to the store to bring back all sorts of food that I'm clearly not capable of eating.  (I survived today on a piece of toast, 2 bananas and 2 applesauce servings.)

I finally got out of bed and wandered downstairs at 4pm with high hopes that this little bug was gone.  No such luck - I go from feeling ok (at my best today a 7 on a 1-10 scale) to a 5.  5 is much better than the 2-3 I was hovering at on my way to the hospital.

So with a day on the couch and in bed behind me, my wonderful caregiver is asleep and I'm not sleepy.  I hoped that some time on the computer and maybe tv in the loft would bring me back to the groggy place and we will see.  Right now, I'm drinking more Gatorade and about to sign off.

Our friends, who were over on Thursday, who enjoyed their own bout with this bug that night (and therefore could not have known they were carriers) said it was gone in 24 hours.  That leaves me with 5 hours left of semi-misery.  Actually, misery is overstating it at this point, but I do wish I was tired.

I think Church is a doubtful activity tomorrow.  My goal (still) is to pack my hospital bag - there was a moment this morning when I thought we could have this baby today and I'm not ready.  I'll never really be ready, but I can have my bags packed and the stuff Lucy will need to come home.

No comments: