Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shhh

I read today that Mrs. John Travolta, Kelly Preston who recently gave birth had a "silent birth."  Silent birth is a Scientology tradition where the goal is to speak as little as possible during the birth to create a peaceful place for the baby to enter into.

She states that moaning and grunting are natural and to be expected and thus they happen, but talking to each other (the spouses and medical team) is as limited as possible.  I'm sure the doctor is allowed to say whatever is medically necessary, but the "you can do it" encouragement that I hope to hear likely was not uttered in the birthing room.

You know, to each his or her own.  This form of birth can't be unhealthy or dangerous for mother or baby, but I think it's odd.  Babies hear everything inside the womb and in fact it is darned loud in there.  We learned during our last baby class that the sound in the womb is louder in decibels than a vacuum cleaner.   Heck, no wonder she's moving around all the time, it's a rock concert.  Things are obviously muffled, as what babies hear is filtered through liquid, but silence can't be comforting for them.

Those of you who know me and know that I was the kid who had to write sentences for my 5th grade teacher because I was so chatty know that I will not be attempting to do a silent anything, let alone birth.  There will be some talking going on.  I only hope that I can keep the "holy f*ck this hurts" type of statements to a dull roar.  I'm a mommy now, the f-word needs to take a break. 

As for you Ms. Bono, I think maybe your anger and annoyance at me clouded your judgment.  The assignment to write "I will not open my gargantuan mouth in class again." 1000 times was mean.  Although, I do remember my mom calling the school and for some reason I ended up having to complete the assignment.  Perhaps I was out of line.  Me!?  Never.

No comments: