Pages

Monday, October 23, 2006

Alaska...Southwest...Alaska

I hate to fly Southwest airlines.  I want an assigned seat, and I want to board in an orderly manner.  I also dislike their policy of picking people out to pay for an extra seat if they think youre too big.  I agree its no fun to sit next to the fat person but to publicly embarrass them is a dreadful thing to do.

I am a faithful Alaska Airlines customer.  Its easy because Im based in Seattle (their hub) so I know my loyalty is a lot like choice of religion its 75% where you live (where you were born.)  They seem to be on time, they are good with information, the web site it helpful and easy to use, and the rewards program is well connected to things in my life (its easy to earn points for non-travel.)

However, lately the distinction between Southwest and Alaska is getting hard to see.  Alaska has killed its meals for the coach class on domestic flights.  For $5 you can buy a soggy sandwich and a f*cking awesome cookie.  (The cookie really was fantastic.)  My last few flights have been delayed and if it hadnt been for sharp eyes my bags would have only gone to Chicago when I was going to Seattle.  That would have been very very bad.

I have to say that I dont mind paying extra for food on a flight, but I dont want to pay the flight attendant on board.  I seldom have cash on hand and they havent figured out how to take plastic while in flight.   So I say to you Alaska Airlines.. stop nickel and diming me and give me a friken sandwich when I fly cross country

No comments: