Pages

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Home and an Irish Groom

How do people who travel 50% or more of their working lives do it? It must take a really a special person. I am too in love with my cozy home to want to be away for half my life. It's safe to say that I'm glad to be home. It's cold and wet outside and I am enjoying my lazy Sunday afternoon.

The vacation was nice, the conference was good but the year is wrapping up an there is work to be done. Luckily I only have one more trip to make and then I'm done for the year. That trip will top my frequent flyer program into "MVP Status" which means I've flown enough to get early boarding and a 50% miles bonus for each flight but not so much that I could rent my home to strangers.

The extra bonus miles are great as I think I've decided to take a super long wonderful trip to Europe for my 40th birthday. The girls have talked about taking a trip, but I'm not really sure they are doing anything more than just 'talking' at this point.

The wife of one of the conference attendees says I should come to Ireland and participate in the annual engagement ritual or some such thing. She says there's a town where the single women who are ready to marry and the single men who are ready to marry come together and get engaged. This would be fantastic - I could fly over and bring back a man who for would be willing to trade his dignity for citizenship and he could clean my house while I work. Plus, he could make dinner -- Irish Stew is great. There is that small problem of actually loving the man, but I'm sure my mom would love him enough for both of us.

I don't see why it couldn't work. He could be my mail order groom. I'm sure my "no beer" and "no friends when I'm not home" rules would seem reasonable after a while. It's not like I'd make him serve me or anything... I'd still cut my own toe nails and brush my own teeth. It's a great bargain.

1 comment:

MWR said...

I was expecting this would have something to do with horses and stables. Alas.