Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The BIG news

After a lifetime of struggling with my weight I'm about to take a dramatic step in a new direction. Since the beginning of the year I've been thinking about weight loss surgery. I've done months of research and checked out hospitals.

I've worked out the financing (yikes... NOT CHEAP - think of the cost of a mildly well equipped new VW Beetle Convertible) and found a hospital with a good program.

I'm still going through some pre-tests to determine if I'm a good candidate, but my primary doc gave me the thumbs up and so far all tests have been really good.

It's a big deal and doesn't come without risk, but my primary care doc thinks I'll do just fine.

My work insurance doesn't cover it, so I'm not sure I'm going to loop them in. I just may take some time off and screw them if they don't like it.

I meet with the psychiatrist Wednesday to make sure I don't have unrealistic expectations. I'm pretty sure she and I aren't going to be fast friends, our one phone call to schedule the "event" was more challenging than I would have expected. She is a serious serious person. I had been working on a joke about my expectations after the surgery, but I don't get that she would see it as a joke.

I don't think it's wholly unreasonable to expect that within a month or so I'll be a size 6, and that HRH the prince of wales, William will come knocking on my door to wisk me away to be the future Queen of England. Oh, and I'll win $300 million in the lottery and George Clooney will beg me to come live with him on Lake Como in Italy. It could TOTALLY happen.

In reality, it's gong to be a lot of hard work and will require permanent behavior changes. It is not a get-thin-quick scheme. I'm in the process of trying to relearn how to eat, and for the most part its going well. Social situations are going to be a challenge. (This holiday season for one will be really different.)

I've told the most of my people (sorry if you're hearing about this first right now) and my family is on board. Mom is ready to move in to help support me during recovery. I think two weeks will be my limit for "help." I'll be out of work for three weeks, but that last week I think I'll muster on my own.

The surgery date isn't scheduled yet, but I will let you know. I'll also post photo's of progress, but I promise not to turn this into a 100% weight-loss blog. I'm more than my weight and hope to always be a (forgive this pun, I can't stop myself) a well rounded person.

Well, that's the news. I gotta run and finish the laundry so I have something to wear this week.

1 comment:

phatgrrl said...

Well hello there! Thanks for your comment =) and for your concern!
I had been driving myself crazy with the pre-op diet because I just got so stuck! This detox I'm doing is actually great, and not that hard...I made it through a day and a half and I've lost 5 lbs, which broke me out of my rut (plateau).
..so enough about me, which surgery are you having? I couldn't tell by your post.. and do you have it scheduled yet?

Was reading your blog, you have a great sense of humor... we should start a Seattle support group or something.. I'm not into driving across the state to talk about my fat rolls... *winky*