Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Billie Jean

The family got good news today. My brother's ex-wife Anna finally was compelled (that's legal talk for do it or you're going to jail) to do a DNA test on the child that was born as their marriage was ending. My brother has insisted since the beginning that the kid couldn't be his and has been in a long drawn out legal battle for almost 16 years.

Frankly its been a mess. There's this kid who may or may not be family. He didn't have access, we didn't have any relationship with her at all. And then, here's my brother who's holding his family together on a shoestring paying buckets of money for a kid he believes in his heart isn't his.

Well, the tests are in... and he's not the papa. Good news for my brother and his wife, maybe they'll get some or all of their money back. Good news for the kid, Anna is about to re-marry and the new guy wants to adopt the kid. I honestly hope they'll be really happy.

I wonder if the state of Georgia will be as fast at returning the paid child support as they were about garnishing his wages.

Frankly, I think they'll avoid returning Kev's money until they get it back from Anna. Hopefully my current sister-in-law wont run out and buy a pool or a new car until they have actual money in hand.

In other good news, it also seems that my dearest brother is so far from the action in Iraq that he's BORED. He said his job consists of watching the "detainees" (nice) walk the yard.

Technically, (and legally) I wonder how long you can be "detained" before it rolls over into actual captivity? One or two years? I love the semantic games we play.

No comments: