Pages

Monday, October 22, 2007

Huge News...

Multiple sources this weekend informed me about JK Rowlings announcement that Harry Potters beloved headmaster Professor Dumbledore is actually gay.  Interesting news I guess, especially if you are wrapped up in the lives of fictional characters. 

To me it doesnt matter if hes gay, straight, had a secret affair with an elf, or worse a muggle. Mugglesexual?   While I believe Ms. Rowlings comments to be in jest, it bothers me that she would joke about it.  The days of insulting someone by calling them gay should be capital O over.  Had her intention been one of tolerance then she should have broached the subject in her multimillion dollar earning books in a forthright manner.  To mention it after the fact is a weak attempt with no cost to her pocketbook.  A more risky move (but one worthy of respect) would have been to write it into the actual story.

It is not shocking to me that a character in a childrens story would turn out to be gay.  Plenty of characters throughout the fiction have frequented the Neighbors Bar in fantasy land.  Last time I was there with my friend Craig, I saw Prince Charming putting the moves on TinkyWinky (who I thought was a little young to be out that late.)   Poor Cinderella, I hope that Prince tells her that hes a member of the family before they have kids.  Maybe they have an agreement but its really none of our business.

No comments: