Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Life

I went to the funeral today of a man I didn't really know. He and his family are members of my church. (My is an odd phrase I think.) I didn't know him personally, but I've met his wife a number of times and really liked her.

I was saddened to hear the weekly updates regarding his health and was moved when I got the e-mail that he had died. I sort of felt like an interloper today, but I'm glad I went.

It was your average funeral. Well, if average is a rock band and weeping Insurance salesman. Gary was in the insurance business and clearly was loved by his clients and the people he worked for. The gruff, no nonsense Insurance Salesman gave the most touching reading of 1 Corinthians I've ever heard. Normally, this passage is read at weddings by some cousin of the bride who has a terrible case of stage fright. All I ever really remember of it is that Love is patient, Love is kind, it is never boastful... and then I'm off in my head thinking about weddings and how my feet hurt. Well, not today. This beer swilling insurance guy was choked up, and read the damn thing with meaning and purpose. It was as if he had written the passage for his friend himself.

The big life lesson for me today is, it is what it is. Make the most of it, and to display the integrity myself that I expect in others.

No comments: