Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm Connected

I’m blogging, I’m on LinkedIn, I’m on FaceBook, we have a wedding website and now I’m “twittering.” There is so much of “me” out on the Internet these days that I’m sick of myself.

The blog is fun, for me especially. I do enjoy putting my thoughts and opinions on ‘paper’ in a format that others can view if they care. I know my mom digs it so I don’t see myself stopping anytime soon.

LinkedIn is a business networking site and it is a great way to see what people are up to and to keep track of them as they move around.

FaceBook is purely social and has reconnected me with friends from long ago – mostly the high school crowd. In high school I was both involved with everyone and very insecure. I felt like I only had a couple close friends, but as it turns out I am really interested in who my classmates turned out to be. We were a small group (of 59) and it has been fun to catch up with so many of them.

One of my favorite features of FaceBook is the ‘status updates. My friend Dave is super funny. I can log on at anytime and get the ‘top stories’ and the notifications about who has posted photos or commented on photos from my friends.

The only downside is that your “friends” can post photos of you and you can’t do a damn thing about it. You might be able to jump back in time and decide NOT to dress as a Conehead for “TV” day during your senior year Spirit Week but it could be tricky.

FB also has some odd little “applications” that are intended to increase interaction between your friends. Frankly, if anyone “flings food” and I’m supposed to “fling it back” (by click the button that says ‘fling”) I’m not interested unless there is a purpose. I tend to ignore those.

Jason (OMG, he has a name!) is discussing inviting his mom to FaceBook and I was initially reluctant because from FaceBook she can pop over and find me here. Is the blog TOO um.. crass for his mom? Of course, my mom reads this and his mom is just as cool as my mom – so maybe I need to get over it.

The wedding website (www.terriandjason.ourweddingday.com) is a necessary tool to spread information about the big day. It isn’t funny and it will only be online for about a year. I don’t see myself as the bride who blogs on her wedding site about all the wonders of planning a wedding – that’s what I have YOU for.

Now… for Twitter. I’m new to this, as of yesterday and am not quite sure I’m quite using it right. I’m not connected to too many people so the jury is still out. I do know that once I start working for real again, I may have to drop my participation levels. What will you do if you don’t get real time notices that I’m bored?

For your trouble of getting to the end of this post, here's me as a conehead in 1986.

1 comment:

Donna said...

At least that's a funny pic... Someone tagged me at a sweet 16 party passed out in a chair. And, seriously, I don't remember it!