Pages

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thought of the Day

Paperwork…

I'm proceeding with the formation of my own company to enable this "maybe" work with a former manager.  Clearly I'm feeling confident that our discussions will go somewhere and I have been learning all about licenses, B&O taxes and all the nifty little things you have to do as a business owner.

There are multiple agencies now involved in my life that didn't exist before last week.  To be fair, they were in the world, but not in MY world, and my world revolves around… you guessed it - ME. 

Having this activity to work on has been great.  I'm learning something new, getting some new experience and there is a reason to make space in the home office.  The space is coming at the expense of GASP the wedding magazines.  I'm thinking that now that the invitations have been ordered, the menu set, the décor decided upon, favors planned, and attire worked out that I can release the backlog of Martha Stewart Wedding Magazines to the earth.

I had to stop and pause there for a moment.  It is an odd shift in my universe where something that use to bring me joy no longer has the same pull.  Do you remember as a kid getting the JC Penny Christmas catalogue?  I would pour over it for hours selecting toys that I wanted.  I imagined that I HAD to select one toy from every page and would cruise through page by page making the all important decision between the Barbie Dream House or the Malibu Barbie Convertible Car.  These choices were harder when I would get to the boy toys… you know, trucks and war games, I would selflessly select toys I thought my brother would appreciate.    Then, one year the catalog came and I couldn't find anything I 'needed' or 'wanted.'  That magical kid thing was gone and I guess now that I’m getting to fulfill my wish of a wedding, the Wedding Wishbook no longer is required either.

One thing to clarify about the "fulfill my wish of a wedding" statement is that I dreamed of having a wedding, this is true.  But now I'm planning my marriage to J - which is a completely different and a more wonderful thing.  Oh, the wedding will be spectacular and fun - but I’m aware that the marriage is the thing.  (I'm shallow and self-centered, but not THAT shallow and self-centered.)  I think I did scare the florist last night with my requests for three small floral displays on each table vs. one big one…she got wide eyed and said she would have to check the figures.  I’m not overly adamant about what "I WANT" but I do want to explore the options before a decision is made.

Speaking of the wedding, J and I met with the florist and the coordinator at the site of our union to review floor plans and the set up for the ceremony.  I have to say seeing it, even in the bleak March pre-spring sprout gave me chills.  I can envision the set up, our guests and booking up the "aisle" to meet J at the alter.  Fun Fun Fun

No comments: