Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

This holiday use to seriously depress me.  I hated all the cards, flowers and candy - and for good reason, I was jealous and felt sorry for myself.

While I am happy to report that I finally have a valentine, I still haven't fully embraced the holiday.  I don't expect flowers or candy (although a $1 box of Nerds will never be turned away) and this year I don't really even want to go out to a fancy dinner.   Dinner must be had, and I think I'll be cooking (it is the least I can do for my fella) but I haven't ventured to the store yet.

Jason did double and triple check to make sure I wasn't secretly hoping for a fancy Valentine gift.  Nope, tonight we will have dinner, open our cards and then watch a romantic comedy movie.  This plan makes me happy.  Heck we're making our own little valentine and there will be times in our future where I will want to go out, have wine and a real date like we use to "back in the day" but for this year, I'm happy to put on squishy pants (pj's) and tuck onto the couch.  Lucky me!  

For those of you who have yet to locate your Mr. or Ms. Wonderful I say to you, don't give up.  If you're in my world I know you to be a quality, worthy person and while the wait stinks, it will happen.  (You are welcome to punch me in my nose for my convenient, after the fact, optimism.)  Dating blows and you have to have a fair bit of determination and willingness to spend an evening with creepo-magoo but I think if you're paying attention when your person comes along you will see them.  When that time comes I will celebrate with you and shed tears of happiness for your person's good fortune at finding you (finally!)  Heck, I'll even be nice about how damn long it took them to show up.

So, to my own fella, happy subdued valentine's day and to my single friends, I love ya and want you to blow off this made up holiday and remember how damned awesome you are. 

No comments: