Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Sometimes I forget...

You would think that after all the time that has passed after my weight loss surgery that I would remember that I have to be careful what I eat.  That is not the case.

Today I made myself ill by consuming a banana nut muffin.  It tasted really good, but the gummy nature of the muffin and (I'm guessing) the compromised tummy due to the baby caused me to feel immediately sick. 

Throwing up isn't a desired action, but the muffin wasn't going "down" so it had to come up.  Its moments like this that I'm thankful I work at home.  I was able to lay down for 20 minutes and recover.

With a newly cleared tummy I'll be focusing on my water intake. I'm still puffy in the legs - and believe it or not, the cure for water retention is MORE WATER.  Seems counterproductive, but I'll take a full bladder over these stumps.

I don't see myself as Big TP anymore, but I can not eat the way I use to, no matter how much time has passed.  Most of my eating habits are just that, habitual and don't feel strange anymore.  Last night I ate half of my chicken sandwich and a few of the super yummy fries and brought the remainder of my dinner home.  Two hours later when I was hungry again I ate most of the second half of the sandwich.  When I first had my surgery I felt sheepish about dining in public and the amount of food I was either taking home or leaving behind.  Now, I realize that most restaurant portions are enormous and the fact that I make a dent is enough.  Smart ordering also helps take focus off my plate.   It has been ages since I've been asked if my food was acceptable or since the server has offered to not charge me for the food I'm not eating.  (I only let that happen once, and my meal WAS very much undercooked.)



Thankfully, my issues with food digestion don't happen too often.  Usually it is related to sugar intake (I had to break up with ice cream) which may have contributed to the "return of the muffin" and I will remember the sugar issue for a while.   Some treats have to be consumed.  The cake that Jen left behind had to be sampled.  I did make an effort to have a tiny portion, but alas...even the wafer thin slice was too much for me.   The beautiful and tasty cake has been removed from the house and I'm better for it.


So, there is new item to the list of foods to avoid:  Costco banana muffins.  They are tasty, but not kind to me. 

For the record, even after all this time and these issues that pop up I'm still very happy I chose this route.  Being reminded from time to time that what I put in my face still really matters isn't a bad thing.  I know I'm going to have some work to do after Lucy comes, but I'm up for the challenge.  I will get my body back!  Heck, if you believe the pro-breastfeeding hype, I should be back into my pre-pregnancy shape within months.  (I actually think it will take more than a few months, but I'm willing to work at it.)

Slight topic change:  I'm listening to the big iPod, but must be on some strange music play list because I just went from a Rush song to a Christmas carol.  I must do something about that. I can't handle the musical diversity.

No comments: