Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Hold on to your shorts....

I've been hinting at something for a few days now and it is time to share. J and I have been talking and we've decided that we're going to get married. You heard me... TP gal is getting hitched!

I've heard it said that when you know, you know, and believe me -- I know. Without getting overly mushy and sappy I would like to share that J not only feels like family to me, he is the partner for which I had been hoping. We have a lot of fun together, but I feel strongly that when the chips are down that he's the one I want by my side. He has been amazing regarding the work thing; he's supportive and listens when its needed and provides distraction and entertainment when the situation is required. His family is fantastic and he has been fully accepted by my parents and the Aunts & Uncle.

We've scheduled a September wedding (09.19.09) and have picked a location and a caterer! The ceremony itself will be simple and sweet and we're hoping the party will be fun! We'll be doing some dancing and I believe we will have at least one bottle of wine on hand!
Picking caterer was a huge decision that we wrapped up this week. We got a few quotes from caterers that are clearly proving a level of service that I frankly can't relate to. The one company 'cut down' the number of bartenders by three to bring the food cost down to only $1000 over my entire wedding budget. Conversely we were given the name of a caterer who offered us a screaming deal, but I couldn't get her on the phone and her staff couldn't answer basic questions. I would rather pay more for a partner than cheap out and have to stress that the food is even going to arrive. J has been amazing about the planning and a good sport about everything that has to happen now vs. later. He's interested and has an opinion, but so far not any violent opinions about things that are ... um... not to sound all "Bridezilla" but wrong.
J mentioned that his cousin Teresa would be making our cake and my first thought was 'uh oh, my first lesson in compromise.' But it turns out that she has been to culinary school and is a professional cake person. Fan-damn-tastic! How thrilling to have someone who likes us make our cake. J has some fun ideas about what he'd like to have and I just want it to be pretty so I'm happy.
I did accidentally try on a wedding dress - even though it is WAY to early to pick something out. I saw it in the window and popped in to see the price (to get over it if it was hella expensive) and it was quite reasonable. The shopkeeper asked me if I wanted to try it on? Oh my... the idea that I would be able to try on dresses that weren't in the big lady store floored me so I said yes. As I stepped out from behind the red velvet curtain in that white dress my body temperature rose about 10 degrees and my heart started to race. I looked like a bride!!!!! I do want to go dress shopping with my girls and I hope that in the spring we can coordinate a weekend to make it happen - in the mean time, I'm envisioning myself in that pretty dress saying sweet things to my wonderful guy.
On the 'attendant' front - I'll be having four ladies standing up with me, Yaz, June, Becky and Janie. They all have been supportive and important in their own ways that there is no way in HELL that I'm picking a "Matron of Honor" They all mean the world to me and I don't think there needs to be a hierarchy so I'm not going to do it!
Here's hoping TP gal doesn't turn into the wedding update site, but you may have to hear about it more than you want. What can I say? I'm a 40 year old woman who is about to marry a man who makes her heart flutter and makes her laugh until she can't breathe. I'm happy happy happy!

6 comments:

Donna said...

Whoohoo! I get to leave the first comment!

Congratulations -- I am so happy for you. I knew the moment I met my husband. I wouldn't admit it then, but I can now. It's like I could envision my entire future with him so clearly. I know it sounds hoakie, but it is so true.

I wish you all the happiness possible. Life really does begin at 40 :)

Donna
(who turns 41 next week!)

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Congrats! SWEET!

How soon do you think you will be vacating the condo, and how long do you think it is likely to remain vacant?

Anonymous said...

Hooray! This almost makes up for yesterday's USC game. . . . Just kidding! It more than makes up for the whole fricking 0 and 8 season! And I have no idea why I'm even comparing the two!

Let's see...[consults list of single friends]...Kirk - engaged, Terri - engaged...I think it's my turn next! (Now if only I were seeing someone.)

Anonymous said...

First of all let Dad and I say how happy we are again for you and J. The picture portrays all the enthusiasm of two 16 year olds that have fallen in love for the first time. I love the thought of you two loving each other and planning to spend the rest of your lives together. All the love songs I hear on the radio now make me think of you two together. I don't think of you as just TP anymore. I think of TP and J as a single unit, a family unit.
Love to you both, Mom

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Omigosh, I'm really happy for you! When it is right, it's right...

I wish you a lifetime of happiness together! :)

Molly said...

Wow, I step away from your blog for a few weeks and look what happens!

So incredibly exciting! Oh, T. I am soooo freakin' happy for you!

This and the election has put me over the top -- who would have thought that the journey your started a year or so ago would have brought you to this place?

Bliss!