Pages

Friday, October 03, 2008

The Non-Vacation

I'm having a 1950's housewife vacation. Well, not the vacation of a 1950's housewife, but pretending to be a 1950's housewife. I'm cleaning, cooking being way too domestic.

Yesterday after I had lunch with Becky and ran errands (returning one of the swimsuits) I ran to the grocery store and picked up things for dinner.

In an homage to the 1950's I made a big garlicky meatloaf, homemade mashed potatoes and threw in some asparagus to green up the plate. It was a meal that I wouldn't have done just for me, and was way too much for just J and I. Fortunately, Thursdays are Survivor Nights with our friends (and family) D&C. The four of us devoured my heart attack special in no time.

The trick to my meatloaf... using two different kinds of meat - the leanest ground beef you can find, and plain old ground sausage. Holy Crap... it is a good combo. It also helps to not be shy with the garlic and the spices. I didn't find the bread crumbs until after I was done with the mix, so I took salad croutons, crushed them and used them as filler.

Over the course of dinner (and two bottles of wine that C and I mostly polished off ourselves) we hatched an evil, diabolical plan. Wanna hear it? Good!

In looking at my things with a critical eye (something I strongly recommend to you all after cleaning up Martha's things) I realized I have a rather large collection of arts and crafts supplies. I use to make my own holiday cards and scrap books. Now I have lots of rubber stamps, special paper, cutters and embossing materials.

Since I don't use these items anymore, but I do have a significant investment in them so throwing them away or giving them to strangers doesn't feel right. C is in the same boat in that she has lots of this crap laying around too... so here's my diabolical plan:

C will plant an idea in the ear of "the one they warned me about" to have a craft night with the idea that we'll swap stuff that we no longer need. C and I will bring all of our stuff, and intermingle it with everyone else's stuff and then suddenly get called away and leave EVERYTHING behind!

Yes, it would be easier to give it away but this feels more, oh I don't know...evil. And I like being a little bit evil.

I am moving so slow this morning... maybe it has to do with the two bottles of wine. I just can't seem to get going. I've showered, watched an episode of Law & Order but fell asleep so I had to watch it again. I'm a slug.

I am off though... I have a plan for today and it doesn't involve an elaborate dinner. J is working late tonight so we'll probably grab some quick chow later on and watch a movie. That's my plan anyway; he is allowed to have his own ideas. I haven't completely squashed his free will just yet. (In the secret rules of women guidebook it says to wait until after you're married to kill their free will. I may not actually get to that activity because I'm having so much fun in the "woo him" stage - why move on?)

1 comment:

Kim H. said...

Would it be better for you to maybe sell the extra stuff on Ebay?