Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I need a day off from my weekend

Oh my...my description of everything on the agenda for the weekend was pretty accurate. Here is is 7 p.m. Sunday and I'm pooped.

Our mashed potatoes for the cider pressing party turned out great. In typical TPgal fashion, we made too much. We were told that we were cooking for about 20 people, but it turns out the kids dined on pizza so our two huge crock pots of warm, creamy garlic mashed potatoes were too much. However, we did not come home with pounds and pounds of leftovers. I scored enough turkey, gravy and potatoes to make a yummy dinner tonight.

The cider pressing party was good fun. Becky's parents have this large wooden press that you feed the apples (and some pears) into to chop up and then once the barrel is full a wooden lid is screwed down onto the fruit and the excess juice is squeezed out. It was a true group effort in that all the chopping and pressing is done under manual effort.

In addition to pressing 15 cases of apples into the freshest and best tasting cider I've ever had, Becky also pulled of a perfectly wonderful turkey.

We've been enjoying stunning fall weather so we were outside the whole day under a tree that was shedding leaves. Fabulous!!!

No comments: